Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHO CAN SWIM?????

WHO CAN SWIM?????

Hi,
    This might sound really weird, but I would love to know how many 'fellow sufferers' CAN'T swim.

I have never been able to. I can't RELAX enough to get my legs behind me in the water and therefore can't float. Is this common in anxiety sufferers, especially those with long term anxiety?

It would be interesting to know if my theory about relaxing and swimming is correct.

Love,
    Linda.x

Hi Linda

Well I can't swim either and I am a long term anxiety sufferer. However, I had a bad experience in a swimming pool when I was young and now have a fear of going under the water. So I think it mainly the reason why I don't feel particularly comfortable in the water.

I'd love to be able to swim though because it's good exercise.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

hi linda...
    i can swim fairly well...
    i suffer from panic/anxiety/ocd...
    the only thing that stops me is when im having a bad day and i dont feel able to mentally go... if that makes sense...
    i prefer to swim in the sea than a pool... i used to get in all the time but now if i get there and dont feel i can it doesnt matter as my kids are old enough to get in themselves and can all swim too.
    rach

Hiya

I can swim, I learnt when I was really younge, before any of the anxiety / panic kicked in...havnt been since ive been suffering with it, so dont know how Id react to it, but think id be ok.

Tatty B xx

I can swim, but could never do so when I was young when everyone else seemed to succeed. I had no confidence.

Then I got there aged 38 and became a swimaholic! At one point I seriously considered doing the Swimathon of 200x25 lengths.

I continued swimming after I started getting panic attacks, but have now got out of the habit and haven't swum for about 3 years! Whilst my general anxiety drains me so, I can't see an early return :-(

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

Hi there,
    I can swim quite well, and used to find it relaxing and helpful with fitness and weight, but the last few occasions when i went, i felt the anxiety creeping up, and like a fool stopped going. As someone else has said, my children are all old enough to take themselves, so i'm letting no-one down but myself! Sorry i don't even think i've answered your question have i?

Don't think if my theory's answered or not!!!! I have never been able to swim and apparently, my anxiety stems from my childhood, so I still can't learn now. I'm not scared of water, I love the sea and my dream is to live by it, I just can't swim LOL

Oh well, maybe some more theories will appear soon....
    Linda.x

Sorry but I am a big swimmer - go 2-3 times a week at the moment. It is boring doing it alone but good toning exercise.

Nicola

Its just me then.............:(:(:(:(:(Am i the worlds most un-relaxed person ever?????:(:(:([:P]

Not atall Lin

We are all different and have different interests etc.

You are doing fine as you are.

I have to say that there have been a few times in the pool when I was at the deep end swimming back to the shallow end that I felt a bit panicky and wanted to get back quick lol!

Nicola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information