Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRI Scan

MRI Scan

Hi everyone...not sure if im posting in the right bit...but here goes !

As some of you may know, Ive been waiting for an MRI scan for a few months now...I also had an ultrasound scan on my thyroid a few weeks oge, which showed they were enlarged and that I have small cysts on them.

Well I went back to the hospital on Wednesday for a consultaion to see what they said about them....I had to call and chase them up as i hadnt heard anything and they didnt even have a record that i needed an appontment :(

Anyways...got there with my mum, my appointment was 9.15..so that helped a bit as i knew there was less chance of being delayed!!

Felt very dizzy and bit panicy, but I actually managed to read a magazine and talk to my mum when in the waiting area...normally i just sit like a zombie!!

Anyways, went in to see the consultant and he said that the cysts are nothing to worry about and that they'll just keep a check on them every few months, so this was a releif! While I was with the consultant, I mentioned i was also waiting for an MRI scan, so the lovely nurse called the department to see how many weeks/months etc I would need to wait...and she came back and said they could do it there and then....[Ugh] [:O]

OH MY GOD! If I was by myself I think i may have chicken out...but with my mum, consultant , nurse etc saying that it was a great opportunity (..Hmm..ok!!) I had to do it! OH MY GOD!! I had been dreading having this done, but before I knoew it, we were down in the scan department waiting to be called in for my scan...

I didnt have time to be worried about it and I didnt panic!! Whereas if i had to go in a different time to have it done, i wouldve paniced about it...

While I was sitting in the waiting area...I suddenly remembered that....I hadnt shaved my legs as i was going to try out a new hair removal cream later that day...OH MY GOD!! so now i wasnt worrying about the scan...i was worrying in case I had to wear a gown and dissplay my lovely gorilla legs!! (sorry to any guys reading this!! I dont normally have gorilla legs!!)

Luckily I didnt have to wear a gown! [Yeah!]

The nurse came through and explained evrything to my mum and I and was so helpful and really put me at ease. She answered any questions I had. They also said that I could have mum in the room with me too, which I definatly wanted.

When I saw the machine, I then felt really aprechensive. I had to lay down, they put big earphones on and then coveres over the earphones so your not really able to move you head. I was reall worried in case the 'tube' was closed at one end, but it wasnt.
    I went half way through and you have a mirron over your eyes, so you can see out of the back they let my mum sit there, so all the way through I could see her.

I felt a bit claustrophobic for about the first min, but then it was ok. There was a fan blowing cool air on my face .

Th emachine was noisy, but I just closed my eyes, and the whole time, they talk to you and explain whats happening.

They also give you a panic button so at anytime you can press it and they get you out.

I can honestly say that I would not worry at all if I had to have another of these scans. They do everything they can to make it was comfortable as possible..IE earphones, mirror, fan, panic button etc. And I didnt have time to be worried!

Just really wanted to post this as I know that a lot of poeple (myself inc) wil worry if they have to have an MRI scan....but I can honestly say...hand on heart...it is nothing to be worried about.

Hope this has helped some of you...just realsied how long this post is!! Sorry!! I will go now!!

If anyone has any questions, Ill be happy to answer.

Tatty B xx

Hi Tatty

Great news that the thyroid cysts are nothing to worry about.

Well done for going through with the MRI scan. It is often better when things happen on the spur of the moment like that as there is no time for anticipatory anxiety to kick in. You did really well.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Well done for doing the scan. I was meant to have one several years ago for a hip problem but couldn't go through with it, the claustraphobia was so intense. Funny thing was I discharged myself from the hospital completely after that and my hip problem cleared up itself...weird.

Glad to know the cysts are okay as well[:X]

Lis
    x

Hi tatty,
    just wanted to say well done! I had to have an MRI scan a few years ago and i was really scared too. It went ok though and all i can remember was listening to bjork 'its oh so quiet' on those headphones and trying not to laugh! lol

Love Em x

Hi Tattybear

Glad you managed to go thru your MRI scan, I can see , now you've done, you don't have the fear anymore. The anticipatory anxiety/ fear is always more frightening itself than the "threat".
    You should have posted in "success stories" because you did so well !!!!

Take care.
    Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

Thanks guys....Yeah it definatly is the anticipation anxiety beforehand which makes things worse and im just so gratful that it worked out so that i could have it done there and then and save the agro of having it done a seperate time!

Emmie...Lol...that was a very ironic song you listened to whilst having the scan!!! hehe!

Tatty B xx

Tatty ,

Well done Honey- great news for you and thanks so much for posting in such detail. It's a great help for others

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Tatty
    well done, you coped so well, and i thank you for being so kind to explain everything in detail, and even laughing about it, so many of us are absolutely terrified of this type of thing, and you will have helped so many. thanks

Well Done!!![Yeah!]

You were very brave Tatty good stuff and Im so glad that the cysts are nothing to worry about[Yeah!], and as for those gorilla legs were you saving yourself for another pamper night including de fuzzing!!ha ha its always the way isnt it youve either not shaved or got your once white now a lovely shade of grey underwear on !!! Ha Ha X Kirsty X

Thanks Meg, Carlin & Kirsty,

I hope my post did help anyone whoes gotta go thru it [^]

And im glad you got some giggles out of it Carlin...I do to

Kirsty.....How did you guess??? Yes....a night of very rare (yeah right!!) pampering was ahead of me!!!! hehe

Tatty B xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information