Thread: Anyone else have this issue?

Lightbulb Anyone else have this issue?

I started getting panic attacks when I was 12-13..I am 18 now.

When I first started getting them...My mother would always tell me that it was all in my head and that she didnt feel bad for me because I was just doing it to myself. Another one of her favorite phrases at the time was "You can stop this whenever you want to."

Before I continue...I am not writing this for pity..I dont want it to seem that way at all! =P I just want to know if any body else has had this issue...so I am explaining to the fullest.^.^

Anyways...after that she began forcing me to go to stores with her...and even if I was having a panic attack...she would tell me to stop faking it, and she also would not let me leave, or even sit down for that matter.

A while after that I started to get panic attacks at school...Well, my teachers and guidance councilers (sp?) were ok with it at first...but then they started accusing me of "Just trying to skip class". So I eventually just started "Going to the bathroom" in order to escape the classroom to relax...

And now onto the present...My boyfriends parents are constantly telling him that he needs to break up with me because supposedly I am "Faking My panic attacks to get attention."

Let this be known though...that my boyfriend fully supports me and has never once thought I was faking anything. He is one of the people I can truely rely on when things get really bad. Anyway. I was just curious to see how other people have felt/reacted to this situation.

And another thing...Just from my point of view...even though It is easy to be mad at people who say these kinds of things to you...I suggest just blowing it off. They have (Probably) never suffered through a Panic attack and therefore have no idea why "Just being scared" is such a big deal.

(I know it is more than "Just being scared" but that is how my mother put it once. ^.^ )

Sorry this is so long =P

Re: Anyone else have this issue?

FOR A START, YOU DO NOT NEED TO APOLOGISE TO ANYONE ON THIS SITE OR MAKE EXCUSES FOR YOURSELF!
    i know you don't ask for sympathy but you are going to get it anyway....
    What a shame that you have had very little support. For a teenage girl to go through all this alone is terrible. Your mum and teachers were ignorant to your feelings and instead of helping you they judged and ridiculed you.
    My mum understood me because she suffers with it herself so she knew how i was feeling. It was probably alien to your mother or she might have blamed herself for not been able to take away your fears. She probably thought that by been that way she could cure you and snap you out of it. I'm sure she loved and worried for you but didnt know how to deal with you.
    You did amazing to get through the past 6 or so years and you are even more amazing because you did it without support.
    Anxiety and panic can be very very frightening and can take over your life.
    Luckily you now have a fantastic caring boyfriend who believes in you and loves you enough to offer his full, whole hearted support.

You are such a brave young girl and deserve a huge hug for been so great

Thank you...I really appreciate everything you said ^.^
    I agree that my mother loved me and just didnt know how to help...At least now I do...back then was another case =P
    My father also has Panic disorder...but at that point in my life he wasnt around =P
    Thank you again =)

Hi Kayla!

I guess you need to experience panic attacks in order to be able to trully understand someone who has them. When I had my first panic attack (I was 14), I had no idea what was happening to me, nor did my parents. They thought I was having seizures and as attacks continued, I started to think that I was faking them, even causing them on purpose!

Took me a while to accept that what was happening to me was nothing out of the ordinary and that I wasn't alone in my sufferings.

Your friends and family love you, no doubt, but maybe they just need some time to accept what's going on with you and also what they can do to help.

Best wishes!
    Ana

Thread Information