Thread: Skin Cancer fear!

Skin Cancer fear!

I'm really freaked out right now, and haven't been for a while.

Basically a few days ago I noticed a small freckle on my face (about half a mm in size) and I couldn't remember if I'd had it there before or not.

I've been in this situation many times before in the last year or so, I've seen freckles on me and I can't remember if they've been there before, but after a few days I realise they have been and I've just been a bit silly!

But because this one is on my face I can't stop looking at it and I'm getting really freaked out.
    I have lots of freckles on my face, and I did a little test and looked at all of the freckles on my face, most of them I couldn't remember having either but they've obviously been there most of my life.

I'm 16, I live in London and don't go out much in the sun, or use sun beds, do you think it could be skin cancer?

I know that if I went to a Doctor they'd laugh at me, it's so small, but I can't shake this fear.

Re: Skin Cancer fear!

It will be absolutely fine hun, i get new freckles and moles all the time, its only if there is any great change in them and believe me hun you would know if there was great change, skin cancer runs in my family and you could tell they were cancerous. so please don't worry

di xx

Cancerous moles/freckles do not look 'normal' they really do look odd and are obviously different from your everyday common mole/freckle, try not to worry too much (yeah I know, I know), if you are very concerned I am sure your doctor wont 'laugh' at you, if he did I would change my doctor!, the fact you are worried should be enough for him to explain why he does not think the freckle is a problem.

Take care

su

Thanks guys.
    I've shown it to my parents, and my Mum has experience with this subject (she once had to have a mole removed, it was all okay but she was very concerned!) and reassured me it was fine, it's only when they start to change or look very unusual and odd, and not normal and round you need to worry!
    My Dad also said the freckle's so small there's nothing to worry about.

So I've calmed down a lot haha, thanks guys

xax

I have had skin cancer from a mole, this mole looked fairly normal compared to all the other big moles i have, but it was still found to have melanoma cancer in it, luckily it had not spread.
    I have alot of freckles that have seemed to appeared thjis last year on my face i don't worry about them as i am pale and think i hjust have skin that is prone to them on the face, are you pale at all if so i would say they are nothing to worry about but if you ever do get too worried about them just ask your gp to have a look when you go to the docs next.

Hi scooby, thanks for replying on my thread "freaking out about mole" too. Glad they caught your melanoma before it started to spread. If you don't mind me asking, if it looked fairly normal, how did they know to test it? Was it sore or itchy or something?
    Thanks
    Leebee

I rang up the NHS Direct about it, and they told me the checklist to see if it could be and looks cancerous, none of my moles match any of the symptoms so I've stopped worrying so much

Quote Originally Posted by aliciajane View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I've shown it to my parents, and my Mum has experience with this subject (she once had to have a mole removed, it was all okay but she was very concerned!) and reassured me it was fine, it's only when they start to change or look very unusual and odd, and not normal and round you need to worry!
    My Dad also said the freckle's so small there's nothing to worry about.

So I've calmed down a lot haha, thanks guys

xax
    Your mum is right. I had a what turned out to be malignant melinoma mole removed last December, it was very itchy and had a very jagged edge to it.

I think it's this that actually started off my anxiety attacks in January.

they are usually very very dark, as well, almost black in colour. I had all of mine checked in Superdrug and she was very reasuring. highly highly unlikely at your age and given you have not been exposed to the sun - your DNA hasn't had time to be damaged yet!

Seeker

My mole was fine didn't itch or hurt but i have alot that are big and dark so i just wanted them checking to make sure they were ok cos you never know and the dermatologist chose this one to urther invistgate and remove and good job they did i now have to go back for regular check up's, i'm pale and i don't sunbath, said i could just be prone to it being pale.

Thread Information