Thread: side effects from citalopran

side effects from citalopran

I have just started taking citalopran - 20mg per day - and am having unpleasant side effects, feeling sick and stomach discomfort - I have read some of your stories about the side effects and a lot of you have reduced your dose to 10mg to start with - did your doctor advise you to do this, or have you done this on your own. If you are taking 10mg, are you cutting your tablet in half, or do they do them in 10mg tablets. Have just taken another 20mg tablet to see if tomorrow will be better. Hope so.

Horlicks

Re: side effects from citalopran

Hey Horlicks hang in there, it takes 3 4 weeks for them to kick in properly and unfortunately i had the side effects for the first fortnight, headaches, nausea and anxiety was so much worse, BUT.... i hung on there and i have been on them for 5 weeks now, and feel alot better, i was actually prescribed 10mg tablets anyway and they are a whole complete tablet that i dont have to break up. I hope they work for you, Good luck.

I've been on 20mg for 6 weeks now. The side effects in the first couple of weeks were difficult but my mood was higher. The last few weeks I'm just feeling mixed up about my feelings and emotions for people. I feel mentally cold a lot of the time and suffer vivid dreams involving fear and violence. These pills appear to be making me feel aloof and obsessive. I think I'm going much deeper down than I was when I started. Has anyone had these feelings due to citalopram?

i know that it can cause these sort of emotions in a few and sometimes suicidal thoughts etc, please dont continue feeling like this, im sure you should go back to your GP and tell them how you are feeling, i dont think its right and even if it is then at least you will have some re-assurance.
    Good luck x

When I started Citalopram I have about 4 weeks of nausea and tiredness but it does pass. Please stick with it if you can.
    take care xxx

hi there....yes i started on 20 mg and stuck with it...if you want the lowest treatment dose to work fast thats the way...i wouldnt have taken 10 at the start because i was a nervous wreck by the time i went to see my doc i was agrophobic and having severe anxiety attacks , it was like being born again lol as everyone says after 4-6 weeks everything is hunky dory
    the miner, if you had been feeling obsessive and aloof could be because your anxiety levels have increased which is normal at the start...i heard taking this medication if you were for example bi-polar would throw you into a manic phase ...just a thought....however 4-6 weeks is a short time and give it 2-3 months and just take note of the changes my feeling is you are still adjusting ,can you say what you meant by emotionally cold though? os that generally ? or just in certain situations?
    Last edited by mojopin; 18-09-08 at 01:13. Reason: spelling mistake

I haven't used a forum or anything like it before and it has helped just having people reply to my comments so thanks to shone and mojopin. When I say'emotionally cold' I guess I mean that I am reacting less to things which would normally have a bigger reaction in me. But I also seem to be getting other things out of proportion. Maybe what is happening is that my mood is fluctuating more than usual. I'm obsessing about people and my emotions and not caring about other things I would normally care about. Anyhow I'm going back to the G.P. tomorrow as need another prescription. Maybe after the helpful comments I might continue with them for longer. Maybe my body is still adjusting. There is always the possibility that they are working and I'm reorganising things into what's important and what isn't. It's only since starting citalopram that I 've started thinking about leaving my partner. Maybe a decision like that should be made without them though. Sorry for the long message. Cheers.

Hi
    I was prescribed 20mgs but felt so ill in the early days I split the tablets in half and tried the 10mgs for a week then took the whole tablet after that, it did help and when I took the full 20mgs I didn't feel any worse. I am on week 4 now and the side affects are pretty much gone but I do feel tired and yawn all the time!
    I had stomach upset and nausea and woke up in the night, its awful but I think they are starting to help me now so stick with them.
    x

Just to compare, my doctor has given me 4 weeks worth of 10mg and she said to come back after that and get 20mg.
    I didn't know why but I'm guessing now that it was because of the side affects.
    She also told me to come back to her if I started feeling really bad (apparently a 'normal' side affect in the forst month or so) so I guess your doctor may be able to help, if you go back to see tham. Maybe they'll change the dose or even put you on something else? I obviously don't know, but I hope you feel better
    Alicia
    XX

Thread Information