Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: increased dose mirtazapine

Re: increased dose mirtazapine

Dear Jo your weight problems will resolve themselves I am sure. I have put weight on again recently but I know with some help I will lose it again. The main issue here is you feeling well again and being able to cope. I'm sure that you will enjoy Cornwall. We always did when we holidayed there. I managed to shift one and a half stones but have to be careful to eat regularily because of the lithium. Best wishes with the holiday. I'm glad you are feeling so upbeat.

Hi Elizabeth Jane,

Thankyou for your kind words of encouragement, it is good to know that you have managed to lose the weight in the past so I know that it can be done if eating the right things like you say. I am just happy to feel o.k and like you say that is the main thing even if I am carrying excess weight...just dont want to know how much at the moment and am going to leave it that way until i am ready to tray and foucus on losing it. For now I am enjoying the excercise and not being too worried about what I eat.

Jo.xx

hi all hope u r all well i was feeling greet for the last 2 months so thought i was getting there now the past 3 days have bn feeling rearly down again i have bn on them 5 months now so does any1 think its coz i have got used to them . coz i was feeling good i halfed the does 2 wks ago got to 4 days then was feeling very anxious. so went back up 2 15 mls last thu could it also be that trn to get in to the drs but carnt get in coz of work could any 1 help with idears thanks xx

Dear Maria I am not a doctor and can only give my experiences of mirtazapine. I am currently taking 45mg at night. In the past when I had had a long period of stability ie a year then with my psychiatrists support I have tapered and eventually come off mirtazapine. It was extremely unpleasant but I made it. I believe that you have come off your medication too soon and too quickly for the old symptoms to reappear. 15mg is regarded as a low dose the therapeutic dose is 30-45mg a day. I am not suggesting that to interfere with your dose yourself but as you suggest it might be time to make an appointment with your GP and establish a longer period of stability before you come off them again. Do not try to do this on your own. Even on a lowish dose 15mg you have almost certainly experienced withdrawals from the mirtazapine. In my opinion this should be done very very slowly to minimise side effects. I had some diazepan to ease this transition. I'm sorry that you are feeling unwell again and I understand the pressures of working. I would try to see your GP ideally get an emergency appointment or ring to speak to a triage nurse to ask them what you should do. EJ.
    Last edited by ElizabethJane; 06-05-10 at 22:19. Reason: spelling

Hi Maria,

Was wonderering how you were and persumed you were well as you hadn't posted for a while.

Sorry to hear that you are feeling as you are. I totally agree with Elizabeth-Jane you have reduced the meds too soon...in mine and others I know experiences you should really stay on the meds at a stable dose for at least 6 months. 15mg is a low dose of mirtazipine...I take 30mg and still find that I have my blips and often wonder if I need to go up to 45mg but so far the "blips" seem to come around the time I am due for my period so I think it could be that (or am hoping so anyhow)!!!

I would definately make sure you are at least taking the 15mg that you were doing until you see your GP. In future I really would not mess with your dosage before discussing with your GP. I know it is easy to feel well again and think you dont need your meds but unfortunately is does not work that way. You must keep taking them to keep well for the moment at least.

I am too not a doctor but know the way anti-depressants work and the way you are feeling I think it may be due to the fact that you dropped dosage and now have gone back up??

Hun, I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you go.

Take care
    Jo.xx

thank u both for ur kind wordsits good to have suport i no i was silly tryn to come off them to soon. but coz i was feeling good thought it would be ok i will just have to keep at it thank u both again xxx

hi
    i started mirtazpine about a year ago im on 90mg a night and i dont have side effects ive tried lots of anti depressants.. im also currently on 30mg valium a day, 30 mg abilify, 2600mg sodium valproate, 15mg zoplicon, 20mg temazepam and 2 mg of benztropine and im using the medications to treat schizo-affective ( bipolar-schizophrenia) and borderline personality Disorder

I've been on 15mg of Mirtazapine nearly 3 weeks. The first day I felt zonked out but after that I was fine and have felt much better apart from really weepy first thing on a morning, however the last 2 days I have been waking up with terrible anxiety and having to go out walking till it calms down a little. I've had a bad weekend though, worrying myself silly over something and maybe have just hyped myself up ??? I usually have Lorazepam to help bring me down but my Doctors very reluctant to give me it for more than a couple of weeks. I'm still really edgy now and can't seem to come down properly. Just off to see my GP in a mo so I may have a few nerves because of that too.

I read this a lot about Mirtazapine, Karen.

When I was taking Prozac and later Paroxetine, I would always wake up with a spring in my step and look forward to the day.

With Mirt I've always woke up groggy and filled with dread. It passes by the afternoon but it's so annoying knowing that the next morning I'll have to go through it all again.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information