Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "A Very Serious Incident"

Unhappy "A Very Serious Incident"

A violent crime appears to have just occurred within yards of my house tonight. A detective just called asking if I'd heard anything. Unfortunately it was the one night when I decide to sit in front of the telly. If I had been upstairs on the computer as usual, who knows.

Although the detective couldn't say much, "Due to the serious nature of the incident", it was very clear by his tone and reluctance to talk that someone is either in a critical condition, unlikely as I heard no sirens, or that someone has actually lost a life.

I heard the police spotter plane go overhead repeatedly and wondered why it was going back and forth over the same spot right above me.

Anyone that knows me here will know that I suffer with anxiety and agoraphobia and although I'm only a little anxious over this, it's just this kind of incident that reminds me how much safer it is indoors.

It used to be quite a nice area round here once upon a time, but it has gone down hill considerably over the last few years. In fact when I called out the police to attend to some trouble here about eighteen months ago, he told me this area was under watch as it had been highlighted as a trouble spot.

I'm ok, but I just felt I had to post this as it's only just happened. A large area around my house is cordoned off and I think the forensic people might still be looking for evidence. That's what they were doing just before I began writing this. I can see the area from the back room quite clearly, although besides a couple of people in those white overall things with torches next to an 'abandoned car', there is nothing to see.

So there you go. Dare I say everything here is 'dead quite'? Well it is and it feels very odd. I'm alright though I don't need reassurance or anything, I just need to share this.
    Last edited by gary_2.0; 20-09-08 at 00:23. Reason: spelling

"I am a part of all that I have met;
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

- Tennyson

For Those Who Shop Online, you can support No More Panic very easily. Read more here and here. If No More Panic has helped you, consider making a donation.

Re: "A Very Serious Incident"

I'm alright though I don't need reassurance or anything
    Gosh Garry it sounds like your evening as been eventfull to say the least. Have a hug from me hun

My anxiety goes through the roof when i see a ambulance pass my house with its blue lights flashing . I do watch those tv police documentries though and it amazes me how many idiots are out driving cars unlawfully.

Hope everything calms down for you soon hun.
    Love

Andrea
    xxxxx

Thank you Andrea

I used to watch those kind of documentaries too. Never bothered me at all, but these days I can't watch anything that has any hint of violence. Well ok I could watch it, I'd just rather not.

Mind you if it were ever safe to go outside, I think having the house surrounded by police ought to be it!

- Tennyson

For Those Who Shop Online, you can support No More Panic very easily. Read more here and here. If No More Panic has helped you, consider making a donation.

Blimey gary, glad you're ok anyway. I know what you mean tho about areas that were once considered safe no longer are...whats happening? Ive been living here in germany with my german partner for the last 15 months. I came over to be with him because of his job, but part of the deal was that we'd move back to uk as soon as we could do it sensibly but as that time draws nearer i find myself becoming more and more reluctant. Its so peaceful here. Everyone respects everyone and the kids never cause problems. Nothing gets stolen (the newspapers are very thin and talk mostly about politics and the state of the economy, so no change there then).

My daughter came to visit in may and was really surprised at the difference. My partner kept laughing at her because she clutched her bag closely to her wherever she went, shes a city girl and is used to looking over her shoulder wherever she goes...sad yes?

Take care
    Cathy xxx

Cathy, you are spot on with your comment,"Everyone respects everyone and the kids never cause problems."

I've spent time in Italy and Spain and the same can be said of these countries too. It's true to say people are more respectful, and dare I say, intelligent?

My theory about the children being no bother is that they are not fed on a diet of processed food containing, well, who knows what? And their sense of family is very strong.

Of course these are generalisations and nothing is 'perfect' but I know where I'd prefer to live. Incidentally the cordon is still in place this morning. Part of the police line, the tape they use is attached to the house by the look of things so this agoraphobic is actually legal bound not to exit the house via 50% of the property.

- Tennyson

Well at least your sense of humour is still intact! and your comments about the other countries is spot on too. I wonder if its also that they still tend to have police stations in every town no matter how small (still have their post offices too haha!) Our local police station is in a beautiful old building and most of the ppl who live here have to walk/cycle past it to get to the centre.

The law is stricter here i think too, small things like its against the law to cross the road until the green man shows up..even if you cant see any cars, if the police catch you its a fine, and if the little red man is on and a car hits you while you're attempting to cross, the driver is not responsible. And fast food? well they do have a macdonalds on the edge of the town but when my daughter was over we took her, and my chap said it was the first time he'd ever had one, and that includes bringing up 2 daughters of his own. My daughter was stunned!

Its like going back to the 50s almost, when things were a bit more innocent, but obviously with mod-cons. Everything closes on sundays (nobody works in their gardens on sundays either..no lawnmowers) theres still half-day closing on weds, and ppl have longer lunch breaks, but thats true of most of europe anwy isnt it. They have no concept of our sandwiches, or our half hour snatched lunches on the move! There are no illegal imigrants simply because you have to live here for a year before they'll even consider you for benefits. But likewise, sometimes its irritating waiting for forms to be processed, the wheels grind slowly in the local gov office!

But its a great place to live and bring up kids. Its just a pity my kids live in uk, and i guess its true when they say home is where the heart is.

Gary, take the opportunity and ask one of the nice policemen outside your cordon to do your shopping for you...he doesnt need to know you're agoraphobic does he

Seriously tho, how long has it been so bad for you, do you have counselling?

Not sure about their green cross code, but other than that..

I'm not sure when we lost our way, but standards here have dropped by so much. One gets the sense that nobody really cares about anything. For a country steeped in so much history and culture we really have little to shout about these days.

I've just overheard police talking and the victim is female, apparently in critical condition from multiple stab wounds. Sorry I don't wish to sound like a gossip getting off on this. I also heard other details about how drug users are taking over a section behind my house, which I wasn't aware of until now. Apparently the police are unable to prevent this for whatever reason.

- Tennyson

My God gary thats awful. Awful for it to have happened and awful that you right in the middle of it all so to speak. Hope you're ok...xxx

Thank you Cathy, thanks for your concern but really I'm fine. As I don't go out it doesn't actually have any direct or immediate impact upon me.

To be honest having learned more about what's been going on actually gives me confidence in that the 'unknown quantity' of my anxiety now has something very real to deal with. Once a problem is known a solution can be found or steps can be taken to negate that problem.

Recently I had actually been toying with the idea of going out during the early hours as a form of CBT, because I thought, "Well it'll be quiet". At least now if I do I am forewarned as to what to be aware of.

I can work with detail, it's the anxiety over noting that does me in. Also I'm not going to allow my Mother to do her shopping round here at night any more, that's for certain.

- Tennyson

Official press statement now says that although the women is in hospital it's not thought her injuries are life-threatening. So that comes as some comfort. Also the victim and attacker were known to each other so this isn't a random attack.

The local gutter-press prefer to play it out a little longer it seems, despite having the same information a little before me but filing the story some twenty minutes later. Typical journalism. - The BBC, thankfully, get it right.

On a lighter note, the female officer outside my house seems nice! "Hi babe, ever dated an over-anxious agoraphobic? I can tell your interested".
    Last edited by gary_2.0; 20-09-08 at 12:25.

- Tennyson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information