Thread: Self-help groups??

Self-help groups??

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experiences of self-help groups. I have social anxiety & panic disorder and have been thinking that it may be helpful to meet with other people face to face.

I have found out from 'No Panic' that there is a self-help group locally.

What can I expect if I decide to go?

Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated.

Re: Self-help groups??

Hi Patty

Sorry I can't help coz I have never come accross one in my area but if I could find one I would certainly give it a go.

Carol

Hi Patty. Quite some years ago now when my anx was quite bad i joined a self-help group in my area of the uk. I found it very good therapy to be able to talk to ppl who have the same health issues, much the same as nmp but i agree that face to face is better in some ways. Its also bringing together ppl who live near to each other and can support each other inbetween meetings if they want. The hardest part is going for the first time, that can be a bitz nerve-racking, but then its the same for all of the others too...

Best wishes
    Cathy xxx

HI Patty

I joined a Self Help group too a few years ago. I remember been real nervous on my first visit but i had nothing to be nervous about, everyone was in the boat as me and they all made me real welcome . I used to look forward to going after that, i didnt get out much because of my Agrophobia at that time but for some reason i always felt relaxed when there.

Love

Andrea
    xxxxx

Hi,

Thank-you so much lorac, Cathy V & honeybee3939 for your replies.

I have been very anxious about the thought of going to the self-help group - especially the first time - and you have all put my mind at ease that there is nothing at all to worry about.

Thanks again xx

Ditto - I joined a self help group when I was suffering from depression. People did make me feel welcome. It was an important part of my therapy, as although I was getting one-on-one counselling at the time, I also felt the need to share my experiences of depression with fellow sufferers.

So, I would say that they are beneficial. You can always go to it and then not go again if you do not like it - but you owe it to yourself to give it a try, just in case it does really help you.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

* A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single footstep *

* The only constant in life, is change *

Hi Darren,

Thanks so much for letting me know of your positive experience of a self-help group.

I think I should give it a try.

Best wishes

Hi Patty

I think self-help groups ( for depression , panic , anxiety , whatever ) are a great idea and I would give one a go if I had the chance and there was one in my area.

I used to go to a depression self-help group many years ago and found it to be a useful experience on the whole.

A group can give you a feeling of being connected because everyone is attending for the same fundamental reason even though the range and severity of symptoms may differ with each member, not to mention circumstances ( 'scuse me for trying to sound like A. Doctor ).

As Darren says, you don't have to go again if it's not for you...and you still get top marks for courage anyway, for giving it a try.

If you do go for it...the very best of luck and I hope it proves helpful.

Hi Allan59,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences & thoughts on self-help groups.

Best Wishes

Thread Information