Thread: Extreme Anxiety after going back on Lexapro

Extreme Anxiety after going back on Lexapro

Hello Everyone,

I started taking Lexapro in around 2004 for depression. It helped and there were no major side effects except for some sexual side effects. After a couple of years I met a woman and decided to stop taking Lexapro to determine whether the sex issues were the result of getting older (mid 40's) of the meds. Well, the side effects cleared up but then the depression returned so I decided to start taking the meds again. None to smart of me to do all of this without consulting my doctor... Anyway, I started taking the Lexapro again on the Friday before the stock exchange imploded. It triggered a sense of doom and gloom like I've never felt before. The severe anxiety was terrible. I managed to make it to work M, T, & W but had to stay home on Thursday. I couldn't understand why people were going about their business as though nothing was amiss. Didn't they know the end is near? I seemed to have hid things well and poured myself into my work to keep my mind at bay. This week I'm out of the office attending a seminar and it's been a very difficult week. I spoke with my Dr. and he suggested that I stay on the Lexapro and said that it would take 3 to 4 weeks to for my system to stabilize. He also gave me 30 tablets of Xanax to use up to 3 times daily. The xanax helps but I don't want to get dependant on it. I would like to chat with someone about this but saw that I have to wait to be able to chat. I've eager to hear from anyone who has gotten through an ordeal like this. Needless to say that if I make it out of this funk I will seek a Dr's advice before going off the meds again. Thanks for listening.

Re: Extreme Anxiety after going back on Lexapro

a warm to nmp

glad u decided to join us

love from

milly xxxx

Hi There

Im sorry your feeling this way - I have been on cipralex/lexapro for a few months now and in the beginning I swear I have never ever felt so wierd and so out of it - I was about to stop so many times but I I didnt and it was about 6 weeks on I started getting feelings of normality again - the wierdness/horrid feelings will pass but you have to persevere - keep busy! I have been on a few meds but none that made me feel that bad in the beginning but it will pass

Thank you to everyone who replied. My doctor has prescribed Xanax to help me through this rough period. I never want to feel like I did during the first week of being back on the meds. Since I couldn't sleep I spent most nights obsessing over the end of the world and all the signs that seem to indicate that we are at the End Times. What a nightmare. I hope noone else has to go through what I did. Peace, Love and again, thanks.

Thread Information