Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agoraphobia and DLA

Agoraphobia and DLA

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, I am so happy to have found this website, I am very surprised to see how many people suffer from Agoraphobia, you always think you are the only one that suffer with this and that. I have suffered with panic attacks and phobias for 25 years now and four years ago I developed Agoraphobia. It has been suggested to me by the my adviser at Job Centre to claim DLA, I've never heard of or know anything about DLA and wondered if anyone here are claiming DLA for having panic attacks, phobias or Agoraphobia.

Any reply would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. I am sorry for my shift post, but I am having an attack just writing this and feel the need to get away quick, sorry guys.

helen

Re: Agoraphobia and DLA

hey yes you can get disability living allowance (DLA) get a claim pack from your local job centre i recieved this a few yrs ago while i was suffering badly from anxiety and agrophobia and welcome to the site there is lots of good tips on how to cope and read the success stories they give you hope and help you see there is light at the end of the tunnel

leexxxx

Hi Helen, i am also getting DLA for my agoraphobia and i also never realised you could till reading the posts on here. My hubbie fetched me a form from the local benefits office and they date stamp it and you have a month to send it back, look on the web for help filling it in as there are loads of sites advicing you how to word it in your best interest. I get the lower rate of care and mobility which is about £140 a month and at least it makes me feel that i am contributing to the household budget and not a burden. I also applied for incapacity benefit and though i haven't worked for so long and haven't paid enough national insurance to recieve money, they do make national insurance contributions so that i will still be eligible for a pension in the future.
    Jacq xxx

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Definately worth applying for - remember to fill the form in to reflect your worst days not your best days.

Advice on how to fill the forms out can be found on www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

Piglet

Quote Originally Posted by leeg View Post
    hey yes you can get disability living allowance (DLA) get a claim pack from your local job centre i recieved this a few yrs ago while i was suffering badly from anxiety and agrophobia and welcome to the site there is lots of good tips on how to cope and read the success stories they give you hope and help you see there is light at the end of the tunnel

leexxxx
    Hi leeg,

Many thanks for your reply, I am glad I can claim it, I have been googling for DLA for the past four days and read so many horror stories about the stress and hassle people go through to claim dla and been refused, I am glad I came across this site with people having similar problem to myself, if anybody don't mind to help or give me some tips on how to fill in this dreadful form, I've downloaded the form from the DWP Govt website, my god my brain is so pickled at the moment by just looking at it, good job I have some weeks before i send in the form, I am housebound and it's difficult to go and get help, I am in search for a Social Worker.

Many thanks again for your reply, it is much appreciated.

regards

helen

Quote Originally Posted by jacq View Post
    Hi Helen, i am also getting DLA for my agoraphobia and i also never realised you could till reading the posts on here. My hubbie fetched me a form from the local benefits office and they date stamp it and you have a month to send it back, look on the web for help filling it in as there are loads of sites advicing you how to word it in your best interest. I get the lower rate of care and mobility which is about £140 a month and at least it makes me feel that i am contributing to the household budget and not a burden. I also applied for incapacity benefit and though i haven't worked for so long and haven't paid enough national insurance to recieve money, they do make national insurance contributions so that i will still be eligible for a pension in the future.
    Jacq xxx
    Hi Jacq,

Thank you very much for your reply, it is much appreciated, I have download the form and I am already scare by just looking at it, would you mind giving me any tips or links of the help you got with filling your forms, I hope you don't think I am being cheeky, any help I get would be great.

Many thanks

regards

helen

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Definately worth applying for - remember to fill the form in to reflect your worst days not your best days.

Advice on how to fill the forms out can be found on www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

Piglet

Hi Piglet,

Many thanks for your reply and for the links, it is much appreciated. Apart from not knowing about DLA, I didn't know I could apply with Agoraphobia, but I can see from this forum that I can. I shall check out this link, I am googling like mad at the moment about dla just to familiarize myself with it.

many thanks

regards

helen

JACQ..

£140??? I got lower rate @ £25 a month, i was housebound at the time of doing the form, hadn't left the house in years!!!!

I think i was done.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

i get the lower rate but its not 140 a month wish it was , not sure how its worked out really but i guess difference circumstances ,hope you get it good luck

I actually get £142 a month - £17.10 a week for lower rate care component and £17.10 a week for lower rate mobility component, though they have both just gone up to £17.75 i think, but the benefit isn't different for different people, if you are awarded it the set rates for everyone are:

Care component

Higher rate £67.00 a week
    Middle rate £44.85 a week
    Lower rate £17.75 a week

Mobility component

Higher rate £46.75
    Lower rate £17.75

The only thing that differs is if they think you are entitled to high middle or low rate, i am on the lower rate for both but i have spoken to others on here who are on the middle rates for the same problems so it is just luck of the draw if you get a sympathetic assesor i guess. You can re-claim at any time if you think your situation has changed or got worse lately so it is worth having a look at your old form. (glad i copied the original aplication as iv'e just been sent a re-assesment form and it took a lot of the stress out of filling it in this time).

Jacqui xxx

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information