Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Britains Deadliest Substances'

'Britains Deadliest Substances'

Wasnt sure where to post this so sorry if im in wrong place.
    Theres a programme on tv at the minute called 'Britians deadliest addictions'. Freeview channel 13 - channel 4 + 1.
    There are 3 people just entering this clinic, which will be for 5 days, so that they can be monitored in the initial stages of withdrawal. One is an alcholic - one is addicted to benzodiazapines - one is a crack cocaine user.
    These people are in this clinic to withdraw from the substances they use, and they are studying them closely while they withdraw from there individual substances. The effects on them and there families are heartbreaking. Eventhough they all have different addictions they are all helping each other by talking about how they are feeling. This is just the first programme while they are in this clinic for 5 days. So im hoping the 2nd will be tomorrow morning.
    I was addicted to watching it, its very powerful and shows the effect on the families as well as on the person who is suffering with the addiction.
    Ive was addicted to diazapam for over 15 years and really feel for this woman in there who is trying to withdraw. Its not easy, but i think shes so brave especially to do it in front of millions of viewers who will see her at her worst, and i hope we see her feeling better so that it might help others who might be thinking of doing the same.
    Has anyone else seen this today? or did anyone see the series when it was shown last as i believe this is a repeat.

Re: 'Britains Deadliest Substances'

Hi lesleya. Unfortunately i cant get alot of uk progs over here so i cant watch it, but i would have as i too was on benzos though along time ago (1980s when they were in their heydey) and had a really hard time coming off them and my time on them was nowhere near as long as yours, but after my experience i became a volunteer for the charity MIND and was sort of a Buddy for others in withdrawal.

Theres a bit of a debate going at the mo on another thread called 'Benzos' by a memeber called bluewoman. Might be worth a look for you.

Would it be possible for you to let me know the outcome of this study, either on the forum or in a pm to me? thanks so much.

Take care
    Cathy xxx

hi leselya

im going to see when its on next, sounds interesting...love dawny x

Hi Cath and Dawn
    I will look at the other thread you mentioned cath thanks.
    Im going to trawl through the tv listings to see if i can find out what days its on apart from monday (unless it is just mondays)
    I will let you know cath what the outcome is...is there no way you can maybe watch it online?
    I will post the times and days for you dawn when i find out.
    Take care xx

I am so worried about becoming over-dependant on diazepam. I try to only take it when I feel I really need it, but it's difficult not to just take one every time I feel a bit edgy or can't sleep.

The opinions stated above are the personal opinions of the writer, and not intended to offend or denigrate any opinions held by anyone else.

I think it's kinda funny, I think it's kinda sad,
    The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

Thanks lesleya. There is bbci and ch4 available to watch online and they ask you to register, but unfortunately you have to live within uk to register. I only get bbc-world here and they do buy progs from other channels to show on it, but they tend to be anything from last year to a month ago. We get eastenders but its about 3 weeks behind yours. Think we could get sky but that doesnt necessarily mean we'd be able to get the uk terrestrial channels.

So thanks again...xxx

Hi kendo, i think sometimes this is part of the problem for us in a way, that we really dont allow ourselves to feel anxious, even a little bit before we want to reach for something to make it better. Maybe we dont realise that 'normal' people allow themselves to feel bad sometimes without thinking the worst is going to happen. What do you think?

It is very hard with diazapam kendo, i think because they give more or less instant calmness, which is basically what we all would love....me included.
    But if you can keep them to a limited dose on an 'as and when' basis theyre great they are very good if used correctly. But its only when someone starts to abuse them that the problems arise. I can only say that because i abused them terribly for over 15 years. I popped them like smarties, everytime i felt uneasy or panicy out came the bottle. I was always asking my gp for prescriptions..ive even said ive lost bottles of pills just to get more!! but unfortunately back then they didnt realise how addictive they were (or they ignored it and buried there heads in the sand) but, i can really feel for someone that wants to come off them but is so scared of being without them. But the thing is that the effect of vailium is very short lived. My gp told me that they are only really effective for up to 3 - 6 weeks then after that they start to become a habit. I know how your feeling though kendo because the easiest thing to do is take another pill to feel better. Maybe if you have a word with your gp and tell him how you feel he might be able to give you some advice.
    Hope things get better for you.
    Take care
    xx

Thats a shame cathy...is there not anyone who could tape it for you?
    Dawn - Ive checked the listings for the rest of this week and its on every morning at 09:30am and then repeated an hour later on freeview ch13 - channel 4 + 1. Cant access next weeks listings yet to see if its on again, but they are only there for 5 days so it might just be on this week.
    Hope you manage to see it...very interesting.
    Take care
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy V View Post
    Hi kendo, i think sometimes this is part of the problem for us in a way, that we really dont allow ourselves to feel anxious, even a little bit before we want to reach for something to make it better. Maybe we dont realise that 'normal' people allow themselves to feel bad sometimes without thinking the worst is going to happen. What do you think?

I totally agree, which is why I try to make the conscious decision to NOT reach for the diazepam every time I feel stressed. I try to limit myself to 2 or 3 a week, maximum... and aim to cut that down.

The opinions stated above are the personal opinions of the writer, and not intended to offend or denigrate any opinions held by anyone else.

I think it's kinda funny, I think it's kinda sad,
    The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information