Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Long irregular heart rate episode....scary!

Re: Long irregular heart rate episode....scary!

Have you looked into the possibility that you may have SVT?? I have had very similar experiences to you and the cardiologist after looking at recordings has diagnosed me iwth it. Maybe give it a google and see?

Basically my heart will flip flop which sets off an impulse which sends the heart into a funky rhythm. Apparently there is an extra pathway in my heart which is the cause and I can have an operation to burn it away. The cardiologist sais it wont kill me but episodes can be very scary and I am on beta blockers to help. Might be worth a look into

Smile Re: Long irregular heart rate episode....scary!

Well, I'm back here to check out my original post!
    Pleased to see so many users have found this thread useful.
    Just completed my first 6 months on Atenolol,and pleased to say I think they have made a difference.
    I STILL get ectopics but not as many,and I definately have them pinned down to alcohol and when I feel really tired during the day thats when I feel they are about to make an appearance.And of course fretting about them and stressfull situations don't help.(Not easy with a noisy,hungry,messy little toddler!)
    One thing users may find useful,is to try and not anticipate the next ectopic and to relax.I KNOW that is soooo easy to say,but I have somehow managed to 'train' my mind to not be thinking about the symptoms 24 hr a day(only 22! ) It seemed to work for me,but everyone is different as they say.
    I'm due to review the 1st six months on Atenolol with a doc on Saturday,I have had 1 or 2 side effects I confess(some trembling) but I'm gonna discuss this and see what he says and decide if this is better than my original symptoms.
    Thanks again all who have replied,and keep the faith people,together we are stronger!

Well Hello! I thought I may sneak back onto my original post(nearly 4 years ago,yikes!) just so people don't think I've shuffled off this mortal coil.
    My health is quite good considering and rereading my original post.
    I am still on Atenolol 50mg a day and don't ever see me being off it to be honest. My doc asked me whether I would like to try a while off the drug, but I refused. I much prefer things as they are!
    My symptoms are still there, but greatly reduced. I stiil get the ectopics but they are few and far between. The only symptom that worries me now is the occaisional 'cluster' of mini missed beats, but I find a good nights sleep usually clears them so I put it down to tiredness.
    If you are reading this thread for the first time I hope the thread give you hope and some reassurance that things will be OK, I was at an all time low with my original symptoms and when my AF and SVT episodes happened I was devastated and mentally low.(they never reoccured btw)
    But now I have 2 beautiful children and and a lovely wife to put my energy into.
    Of course I now watch my alchohol intake and make sure I plenty of rest, oh and I changed my job too...believe it or not, I now work in a hospital!
    Much less stressful than the hole I worked in b4.
    Anyway must go, to all reading this, don't worry and try and relax mentally and physically, and rest up when u need it! Take Care, Andy

Wow I just found this thread and it was so helpful...I have had so many symptoms and anxiety over my heart beats as well. It is truly scary and just nice to find others going through similar situations and feelings.

I have the fear of travelling too and want to go see my kids this summer and hope I can be ok to drive to see them...not sure I would want to fly as read somewhere plane air pressure can make blood pressure go up, but maybe that is not true.

I am on medication and it sure does seem to help..have to watch my diet and not use much salt or I feel not good at all. I had an Echo last week and hoepfully get results tomorrow. Hope they are possitive and I can live a more normal life again.

Thanks so much for sharing everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Joelle View Post
    Wow I just found this thread and it was so helpful...I have had so many symptoms and anxiety over my heart beats as well. It is truly scary and just nice to find others going through similar situations and feelings.

I have the fear of travelling too and want to go see my kids this summer and hope I can be ok to drive to see them...not sure I would want to fly as read somewhere plane air pressure can make blood pressure go up, but maybe that is not true.

I am on medication and it sure does seem to help..have to watch my diet and not use much salt or I feel not good at all. I had an Echo last week and hoepfully get results tomorrow. Hope they are possitive and I can live a more normal life again.

Thanks so much for sharing everyone!
    Hi, Joelle.

I'm so glad even one person has found this thread useful.
    The day I wrote my original post back in 2009 I was so low and had no idea what the future held or what my experience would lead to.
    What meds are u on? and do they make a difference?
    Hope the echo results were fine for you and you continue to make progress.
    Andy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information