Thread: Now I'm scared of the washing machine

Now I'm scared of the washing machine

This is something I feel is so crazy that I cant tell the people I normally would and I'm embarrassed about telling my therapist. I start panicking when I put on a wash because I know I can't stop it once it starts - it's a control issue. My b/f sometimes washes his stuff at my house and I told him I'd lost the key to the utilty room and he couldn't use it. I never lie to him and I felt horrible. Am I on my own with this one? It feels so stupid

Re: Now I'm scared of the washing machine

These kind of irrational thoughts are a normal part of anxiety.

Ask yourself... "Whats the worst that can happen?"

What could go wrong that would cause you to need to stop the washing machine as a matter of urgency?

we all have irrational fears hunny

but thats what they are fears and we have to face them for them to go away

praps chat with ut bf and ask him to be with u when u set the machine so things are checked before u press the go button

if u carry on avoiding the washing machine ur anxiety will move to something else

try and face it hunny

milly xxx

Hi there, yes you can stop it...you can move the dial around to spin to get rid of the water, and then just press stop and wait for the door to unlock.

Could this be part of something like obsessional compulsive disorder...do you have any other symptoms or rituals etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy V View Post
    Hi there, yes you can stop it...you can move the dial around to spin to get rid of the water, and then just press stop and wait for the door to unlock.

Could this be part of something like obsessional compulsive disorder...do you have any other symptoms or rituals etc?
    Hi Cathy. I never thought of doing that, thanks! I'll try it on a really quick wash first. I don't think I have OCD but then again I do seem to have an obsessive need to be in control of everything that I think relates to me - like the washing machine in my house or noise outside my house

Hi Eva, yes i understand you, and alot of people have this tendency for control in their lives, without it being classed as ocd, but then im no expert on this condition and i guess we can all have some parts of this kind of behaviour. Its very common in children. They have little rituals dont they. Most grow out of it but with it some it sticks around into adulthood. My daughter Jo was like this as a child, i had to wave to her from the school gates 3 times, call goodnight up the stairs 3 times and loads of other little rituals like this. She was a very shy girl and it must have been her way to have some kind of control of herself. She grew out of it and has never replaced it with anything in adulthood, in fact shes the most laid back woman i know and a lovely mum.

Dont be too hard on yourself, yes we can laugh about the washing machine, but we all have our fears and phobias and need to feel we are in control, feeling out of control is what leads us into a panic attack, so we all know the feelings.

Cathy xxx

Thread Information