Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get out of bed?

How do you get out of bed?

Lately I've had big troubles getting out of bed to go to work. I don't have to get the kids ready or anything, so I only have to take care of myself.

I have 4 trains that I can take. They get me to work 5 mins early, 5 mins late, 30 mins late & 1 hr 15 mins late. I'm consistantly on the last 2 trains. If by chance I feel good in the morning I can get to the second train. This morning I had to force myself to get out of bed to take the 3rd train. I have to talk myself into moving and it usually takes a good 1/2 hr to an hour to do that. I find that I just don't care enough to get out of bed. I don't care if I'm late to work (my direct manager knows the situation).

I now find myself rushing for the train in the mornings and the nights and that starts the panic. It's a cycle that doesn't seem to end.

So my question, if it has an answer, is "how do you get out of bed when you don't really feel like it?"

I hope the haze lifts soon.

Re: How do you get out of bed?

Hiya Jen,
    Sorry your having a tough time. I find it hard to get out of bed and motivate myself quite a lot of mornings. I put on my MP3 player with affirmations on it, and repeat everything that is said, i use it whilst im walking around getting ready. It does actualy work for me,then recently i find i dont need the MP3, i think its because i trained myself to handle my mornings in a more positive mood with the positive affirmations id been listening to.
    Just an idea, maybe you could try it and see.
    Take care and hope you feel better soon

I know this problem so well!!

I have always had huge trouble getting up for work. The thing that works for me is to set loads of alarms (I set 2 on my clock radio, 2 on a battery alarm and 5 alarms on my mobile) I set them for at least 40 mins before the latest time I can get up and I find that they do my head in so badly going off one after another it is actually easier to get up!!

Works for me and has done for years!!

I would defintely set your alarm half an hour earlier. Even if you can't get up when it goes off you can allow say another ten minutes snoozy time. Is there someone who can bring you a cup of tea or something before you get up? I find if I haven't ironed my clothes for work then that allows me to do that. Jumping in the shower and enjoying the warm water can help you feel motivated. If you are experiencing feelings of dread and foreboding or tearfulness then it probably means that you are suffering from depression and need to chat with your GP. Music of whatever type and of course breakfast can help you on your way. Best wishes.

Once you find the reason for not wanting to get up, the problem will be easier to deal with.

That's stating the bleedin' obvious I know, but it's important because the solution depends quite specifically on whether, you hate your job, you hate mornings, you hate your life generally, or something else entirely.

"I am a part of all that I have met;
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

- Tennyson

For Those Who Shop Online, you can support No More Panic very easily. Read more here and here. If No More Panic has helped you, consider making a donation.

I feel awful in the morning. Often I've been getting into work almost an hour late. That's partly because I was staying on the Internet till the early hours and I've been experimenting with not doing that and going to bed earlier, with generally positive results.

I set my alarm to half an hour before I intend to get up. I'm waking up with "nervous guts" at the moment and I find breathing exercises help calm me down a little.

F
    And fill it with devils and dust.
    - Bruce Springsteen

Hi

I stay in bed as long as poss.....everything ready the night before

Tip out of bed , get ready and out the door!!!!!

I wake up when I get there and never book any clients before 11am

Kaz x x x

I set my alarm for about an hour before I actually need to get up and use the snooze button several times so that I can ease myself into full wakefulness. I also use a radio alarm, rather than an alarm clock, much nicer to be woken by a soothing piece of classical music courtesy of Classic FM than by one of those shrill air-raid sirens that a lot of clock makers seem to use these days. Even so, it's still difficult to motivate myself these days. Only the knowledge that we lose our home if I don't get to work is enough to get me up sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    I set my alarm for about an hour before I actually need to get up and use the snooze button several times so that I can ease myself into full wakefulness. I also use a radio alarm, rather than an alarm clock, much nicer to be woken by a soothing piece of classical music courtesy of Classic FM than by one of those shrill air-raid sirens that a lot of clock makers seem to use these days.
    Oddly enough I hate being woken up by music, even music I like. It demands too much emotional attention and really stresses me out. I much prefer a crude beep.

My alarm clock has extensible snooze. Every time you press the Snooze button it adds 10 minutes, so you can vary your snooze time according to your need on the day. It works well for me.
    And fill it with devils and dust.
    - Bruce Springsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    ...I hate being woken up by music, even music I like. It demands too much emotional attention and really stresses me out. I much prefer a crude beep.
    I completely agree.

"I am a part of all that I have met;
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

- Tennyson

For Those Who Shop Online, you can support No More Panic very easily. Read more here and here. If No More Panic has helped you, consider making a donation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information