Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There is something under the bed.

There is something under the bed.

It's 3 am in the early hours of the 1st of oct 2008. I'm exhausted and decide to head for bed. I put all the lights off and enter my bedroom and then it hits me, that overwhelming childhood fear, there's something under the bed and it's going to reach out and grab me.
    I panic and jump up onto the bottom of the bed, have to get my feet off the floor can't let IT grab me. I'm in that much of a panic I can't put my mobile on the floor beside my bed incase a hand reaches out from the darkness. I can't pull the duvet round me to protect me quick enough, the boyfriend's muffled " FFS what are you doing?" don't quite qualify as the comforting words I need to hear. I hand the bf his mobile, my mobile and say I have set the alarms. He sleepily starts to set the alram on his. " For goodness sake's babes, what ya setting the alarm for? I already told you I set it."
    Welcome back to adulthood.

Pooh x
    I've crossed lines of words and wire, and both have cut me deep. I've been frozen out and I've been on fire, and the tears are mine to weep. But I can cry until I laugh, or laugh until I cry. So cut the deck right in half, I'll play from either side.

http://poohsworld-pooh.blogspot.com/

Re: There is something under the bed.

Wow - scary stuff. I used to get this as a kid, so your description bought all the emotions back to me.

I occassionally get a similar thing, if I'm going upstairs in a house, and the light is on on the upstairs landing, but the light is off in the downstairs landing that I am walking up from... I get really scared that someone is downstairs behind me, and that they will emerge from the darkness and grab me from behind. Totally irrational, but overpowering at the same time.

I totally sympathise with you, even if I do not suffer from the 'under the bed' fear.

Do you try to calm yourself by looking under the bed to reassure yourself that nothing is there? Or is that too scary too?

* A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single footstep *

* The only constant in life, is change *

i get this too! but under the bed is MS, heart failure, MRSA, pancreatitis....

LOL captain!

poo poor u, i used to be the same i would jump into bed and make sure my arms and legs were not poking out ever, even worse was if it thundered i would just have my nose poking out for air hehe.

my hubby has that way with words too very comforting arent they xxxxx

Hey Dazza,

I couldn't look under the bed if my life depended on it lol. Its an irrational fear, but in moments of exhaustion and complete darkness occasionally comes to mind generates panic and thats it....i'm 6 or 7 again for a few minutes lol
    Doesnt help that my sis when we were kids crawled under my bed and grabbed me just as i was getting into bed one night. I have told her she traumatised me for life lol she can't even remember it. Typical! haha!
    If it happens again tonight I'm sleeping on the couch with all the lights on lmao

Pooh x
    I've crossed lines of words and wire, and both have cut me deep. I've been frozen out and I've been on fire, and the tears are mine to weep. But I can cry until I laugh, or laugh until I cry. So cut the deck right in half, I'll play from either side.

http://poohsworld-pooh.blogspot.com/

Ill admit, Im 23 and im STILL terrified of the dark. I think there's something following me.

lol your not alone....

damn childhood fears!

Yes, I'm scared of the dark too - and I'm 47! Don't like being the last up to bed at night cos always think if I look back downstairs into the darkness that I'll see 'something'. And also don't like my feet hanging over the bed - just in case something grabs me!

You are not alone in your fears!

daisy x

I have this fear of sleeping with my feet peeking out of the covers in case something grabs them - i have a fear of paranormal stuff

Sounds familiar: the other night I was overcome but the overwhelming feeling that, wait for it, there was a crocodile at the bottom of my toilet, waiting for me to go and pee.

It sounds hilarious now, but believe me, it wasn't then. Anxiety is a funny old thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information