Thread: Breast cancer worry

Breast cancer worry

I've just about managed to stop poking at my lymph nodes for 5 minutes, now I'm having a fresh bout of worrying about something else: breast cancer.
    According to science and the media, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get breast cancer. I'm mid-thirties and have no kids (and so have never breastfed) - check. I've never been on the pill - check. All that oestrogen swilling around my system all these years, just waiting to make cancer. Although I don't drink now I used to drink a lot, and smoked on and off - check. I am an anxious and stressed-out person - check. I guess I don't have any very close relatives who have had breast cancer, except for an aunt who died of it. I'm being silly, aren't I? Now I'll be poking my breasts until they're black and blue, waiting for the cancerous lump that I feel is sure to show up any day now

Re: Breast cancer worry

Quote Originally Posted by LeeBee View Post
    I've just about managed to stop poking at my lymph nodes for 5 minutes, now I'm having a fresh bout of worrying about something else: breast cancer.
    According to science and the media, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get breast cancer. I'm mid-thirties and have no kids (and so have never breastfed) - check. I've never been on the pill - check. All that oestrogen swilling around my system all these years, just waiting to make cancer. Although I don't drink now I used to drink a lot, and smoked on and off - check. I am an anxious and stressed-out person - check. I guess I don't have any very close relatives who have had breast cancer, except for an aunt who died of it. I'm being silly, aren't I? Now I'll be poking my breasts until they're black and blue, waiting for the cancerous lump that I feel is sure to show up any day now
    Stop it now, there is no guarantee that you will or won't get breast cancer no matter what people say. I think at the end of the day it is luck of the drawer.

I have never smoked and not interested in doing so but I have heard of people in their nineties who have smoked since they were 10 they don't have cancer of the lungs because of it.

BUT then I hear of people in their forties who have smoked since being a teenager getting it.

Obviously you can do things to help prevent you getting it, but if that's the way the cookie crumbles well that's the way the cookie crumbles.

No one knows what the future holds for us we could all we could be all sucked into a black hole or hit by a asteroid
    Last edited by Trixie; 02-10-08 at 08:24.

Hi Trixie, thank you, sensible as ever!

I know, I know it's ridiculous. I had a bad morning, feeling generally anxious and this breast cancer thing popped into my head (as it does, on and off) and wound up my anxiety more and more until I was panicking about it.

In my calm and lucid moments I am more philosophical and rational (I hope). Whatever happens, happens. You do what you can within reason to avoid harm, everything else is pretty much up to chance. I know. Feeling a bit better now. Thanks for caring .

Quote Originally Posted by LeeBee View Post
    Hi Trixie, thank you, sensible as ever!

I know, I know it's ridiculous. I had a bad morning, feeling generally anxious and this breast cancer thing popped into my head (as it does, on and off) and wound up my anxiety more and more until I was panicking about it.

In my calm and lucid moments I am more philosophical and rational (I hope). Whatever happens, happens. You do what you can within reason to avoid harm, everything else is pretty much up to chance. I know. Feeling a bit better now. Thanks for caring .
    Hey I woke up in the middle night and because my oldest Siamese wasn't lying on the bed where he normally does, got up in a panic thinking he had collapsed somewhere in the house, only to find he was lying on the pillow besides me!!!

Thread Information