Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Night panic

Diana

The tape I found useful is RELAXATION MADE EASY by Dr Glenn Harrold MBSCH Dip CH, 1997 by Diviniti Publishing.

He has what I think is a nice northern voice, I find a lot of tapes have therapists whose voices I find annoying.

He also doesn't play that awful dolphin music, which I found really disturbing after watching Orka - Killer Whale.

Ok, so Orka was a whale, and dolphins are different, but they still remind me of the noises the whales made when Orka was fished from the sea, gutted on the boat, and the baby whale fell out of her tummy!

Hardly anybody else seems to have seen this film, so haven't got a clue what I'm on about!

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to grab that tape up if I can find it. LOL...... I have seen Orka, I know what you are talking about. You are soooo funny!!!! I love your sense of humor!!!!! Hard to believe that you with your great sense of humor have this disorder. I have a "fear" of the deep blue sea, so I don`t think I want to hear anything that sounds like Whales or Dolphins. LOL....... I`m not sure why I have this fear, I can swim very well. Probably something I have "THINKED" myself into!!!! LOL............ You are a sweetie, take care. I will let you know if I get my hands on that tape.

Cheers,

Diana xxxx

Thanks all for making me realise I'm not the only one going through this. What you explain Jim, is exactly what I'm doing. Thanks.

Meg, do you know what a spiritual healer would do?

Sara x

If the breathing/relaxation tapes don't work, how about exercise? Can be a little tricky in the middle of the night but it works - when you are panicky because of too much adrenaline you can use it up by employing 'fight' (exercise) as opposed to 'flight' (fear/panic. I find lying on my stomach really helps too - it makes me feel secure and helps me focus on breathing from my stomach rather than my diaphragm.
    The exercise thing has really helped me in past weeks. Although agoraphobic I am dog-walking daily. The benefits include feeling breathless for a 'normal', understandable reason and the release of endorphins as well as feeling good psychologically because I am going out, albeit briefly and in places where I feel safe.
    I used to be so panicky most of the time (for several years)and nights were terrifying. I do still suffer from insomnia at times but I am never frightened of bed-time anymore. There is no one solution and you may have to try several strategies (or combinations) before you find what works. It does get better!

Jim

All our horses have foaled between 3am and 4am. It's got something to do with the natural body clock of the world, but when your up to your arms in (you really don't want to know), you don't really give it a thought. I'll try and find the article that explains why this time is important.

Charlie

quote:I sometimes wake at 3am or 4am into a kind of fugue state, half-way between being asleep and awake. This can make me anxious as things feel not "quite right" mentally.
    Wow, Jim, I was happy to see that somebody else has this! This happens to me, too, and scares the heck out of me. It's just like you said, you don't feel quite right, mentally. I've gotten panicky trying to remember where I was, things like that. Now I have learned to say to myself "You're still half-asleep, you're not insane," which helps, but it's still scary.

As for panic attacks in the middle of the night, I have had them many times and they don't seem to be related to my dreams. I can have really vivid, intense, sometimes terrifying dreams, which wake me up feeling scared, but it's different from a panic attack.

Hey Charlie,

Interesting about the time ey??? I look forward to your post on this. You have such good information.

Take care dear,

Diana xxx

Hi Diana

You'll love this. When I got home, I checked my foaling books, and they suggest that foals are born around 4am - SO THEY CAN RUN AWAY!!!!!

The theory is that if they are foaled about 4am, the night hunters will already be sated and not looking for another meal. And 4am is just before day break, to give the foal time to suckle (first hour v important so gets colosturm in milk from mare), and time to find feet. Then when day breaks and the daytime hunters come out, he is fit and ready to run!!!!

Mares always try to foal in a safe place, and need to be ready to move on the next day as they are grazing animals, and need to eat little and often.

Freud would have a field day. Maybe we are all waking up early because we are in a safe place (sleep) and want to run away from danger (being awake)!!!!!

So maybe thats what your bodies telling you you need to do if you wake up at 4am - RUN!

Suggest going to bed in a tracksuit though so you are ready prepared - an indecent exposure charge for going running in your baby doll is not going to make you feel better! (LOL)

Charlie

Hiya Charlie,

Very interesting!!!! Thanks as always for the priceless information. LOL........... That is all I would need after waking @ 4am in a panic, is going out in my jammies and getting an indecent exposure charge!!!!! Or worst yet running out with "nothing" on at all!!!! You are soooo funny. I just love your sense of humor, and your quick wit. Take care dear.

Cheers,

Diana xxx

I read this post last night and I want to complain to you all!! []

I woke up at 3 am this morning - sob sob and I know it is cos I read this - lol

I usually wake up at 5am so now I got even less sleep.

Only kidding about being angry by the way - but I used to wake at 3-4 every day and then it shifted to 5 am and now look what has happened

Nicola

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information