Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My doctor has stopped my diazepam!

My doctor has stopped my diazepam!

On Friday I rang up for my repeat prescription as usual and was told that these are highly addictive and that I wasn't getting anymore, just like that! I been taking them for about 5 years now, i'd say about 4x 2mg tablets a week, now i'm a bit freaked cuz I have none left and am considering my options. I take them for social occaisions and I can't remember the last time I went to a big social event without them. I don't understand how the doc can just stop them like that so I'll have to make an appointment and find out. Maybe a different doctor will have different opinion. Either that or I have to buy them from the USA but i've started enquiring already and it doesn't seem very easy. I don't know what to do really! Any advice? I don't feel im ready to go cold turkey, and I think a fairer and better way would be to cut them out gradually.

Re: My doctor has stopped my diazepam!

Not sure what to advise...I'm just as surprised as you are that they've just cut off your supply without weening you off after being on them for 5 years.

I was told by a doctor recently (when they gave me some Diazepam) that they would not give it to me for more than 4 weeks.

I'm sure that someone will have ideas as to what you can do. Failing that, maybe look at herbal alternatives like Valerian as a 'plan B'? just a thought.

* A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single footstep *

* The only constant in life, is change *

Sudden withdrawal isn't a good idea with these meds,I'm very surprised that they have done this to you and can only assume that there's been a mistake or misunderstanding somewhere along the line.
    If I were you I'd make an urgent appointment to see the Doc. Explain your fears and agree to go on a gradual withdrawal plan.
    Don't buy them on the internet , there's some dodgy stuff out there.You must go to the Doc. as soon as possible.

Good luck,
    Decca

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedByLife View Post
    On Friday I rang up for my repeat prescription as usual and was told that these are highly addictive and that I wasn't getting anymore, just like that! I been taking them for about 5 years now, i'd say about 4x 2mg tablets a week, now i'm a bit freaked cuz I have none left and am considering my options. I take them for social occaisions and I can't remember the last time I went to a big social event without them. I don't understand how the doc can just stop them like that so I'll have to make an appointment and find out. Maybe a different doctor will have different opinion. Either that or I have to buy them from the USA but i've started enquiring already and it doesn't seem very easy. I don't know what to do really! Any advice? I don't feel im ready to go cold turkey, and I think a fairer and better way would be to cut them out gradually.

hes a dope you need to report him ,,,, he should cut you down not just stop them ,,,,even in there drug book the BNF says to cut down not stop

I don't think you can sue a GP for prescribing benzos now. There was a time quite a number of years ago when some patients did start to sue their GP's, but for some reason they managed to wangle their way out of being sued. There is a lot of info on the benzo org website about this kind of thing that you may find interesting.

I do agree it's very bad of your GP to just stop your meds after this length of time. Hopefully as you have only been taking them on as 'as needed basis' you won't have any withdrawal symptoms, but it obviously doesn't address the fact that you are finding these meds helpful and need something to help you still.

I've taken benzos since about 1980 and although I can now only get a repeat prescription for 28 days instead of the previous 56 days, I don't have any problems getting them. My GP informed that there are now new guidelines for prescibing benzos and one of them is that they will only prescribe for 28 days. Having said that my mother is also on benzos and at the age of 85 is still getting a regular repeat for 56 days!

I would go back to the surgery and make it clear that you are not misusing the meds and are in fact taking them only when you need to. I'm sorry your GP is putting you through unnecessary extra stress like this and hope you get it sorted out soon

Hi Lyn,
    When did the guidelines change ?
    My repeat is for 56 and my last repeat was in August.

Decca.

Hmmmmm Im confused

I have had 5mg diazipam tabs on a take if you need basis for nearly 2 years

I spose I used to take maybe 1 a week but since Ive gone back to work its more like 2 or 3 a week, my GP wont put them on repeat so each time I run out I have to write in and ask for some

I dont feel Im addicted to them but some situations would be uncomfy without them

Hope my GP dosent pull the plug

I should go back to your GP Con and explain the problem

Kaz x x x

Hi,

"I dont feel Im addicted to them but some situations would be uncomfy without them"

placebo effect maybe?

Reason i say this is my only med is Diazepam and has been for 3 years:

5mg 6 times a day as required

Someone above mentioned blunder, yup my doc is in deep, he probably wants me get better as much as i do.

Back on topic,

confusedbylife your already on a low dosage and to a degree with 5 years under your belt you would hardly be feeling the effects anyway. I can take mine in 4's and barely feel a thing and i consider myself in touch with my bodies reactions to most things.

The low dosage that you have taken are stepping stones just to ease the nerves, which you know right?, cold turkey is a strong term for such a low dosage but maybe take half of what your weekly input is and that would help to ween you off them.

As of yet i have never heard of withdrawl symptoms from diazepam aka Valium.

CONS

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

I wondered why my script had dropped to 28 from 56!!Thanks for the info guys!Luckily i dont need the 56 as i used to I too could take multiple tabs..9 at times ..but now 2 and i am out of it!I think the body adjusts to the need of the medication..if i dont take them i never have side effects.Tho i like to know i have them in my bag if i go anywhere!
    I think your dr needs to be told it is unfair to just stop your medication,unethical too.Go and see the Dr and tell him you are not addicted as such just need the reasurance of knowing you have them there should you need them.Good Luck.Love Paddie.xxxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by CONS View Post

"As of yet i have never heard of withdrawl symptoms from diazepam aka Valium."

CONS
    Have you read the Ashton manual
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha01.htm

or read some of the stories on here -
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/

You may well change your mind.

Decca.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information