Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: :: Obesity Documentary Made Me Angry ::

Re: :: Obesity Documentary Made Me Angry ::

Thanks for you condolences on my loss Con, that meant a lot.

Diane, like you i could get on my soap box about all this but i daren't because i'd never shut up
    I was disgusted when my dad was given that pittance and do you know what!!! he died on a saturday and they put the £67 in the following sunday, on finding out we had lost him before that, within a week my mum had a letter asking her to return it, which was the last thing she had to worry about at the time.

pigs they are!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, just need to add another bit.
    I agree with practically all that has been said, I do think the system is unfair and would like to see it changed.
    Cons, thanks for pointing out that the documentary was just an example, you have also gone to the trouble to do some research into the subject.
    I would just like to point out that although rare, there are some genetic conditions which lead to obesity as well as having other health implications, my daughter suffers from a condition like this.
    I know that we are talking in general terms but when I see comments about diet and fitness regimes and vast amounts of benefits, I feel it is making assumptions about all people with obesity, unless we know a persons particular circumstances it's maybe best not to make sweeping judgements.

Just my tuppence worth.

Quote Originally Posted by nanny View Post
    Thanks for you condolences on my loss Con, that meant a lot.

Diane, like you i could get on my soap box about all this but i daren't because i'd never shut up
    I was disgusted when my dad was given that pittance and do you know what!!! he died on a saturday and they put the £67 in the following sunday, on finding out we had lost him before that, within a week my mum had a letter asking her to return it, which was the last thing she had to worry about at the time.

pigs they are!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi nanny

Sorry, I think we were posting at the same time.
    I'm sorry to hear what happened with your dad, it is only too typical.
    I am guessing that he was certainly entitled to more than the outrageous amount that was given too damned late.
    I have heard this type of thing before, some ex-neighbours had a car for their child which was paid for by the mobility component of DLA. Un fortuately the poor lad passed away after a short illness..they recieved a letter asking for the car back before their son had even been laid to rest.

In the US you have to prove that whatever illness you have is permanent (or at least that it is extremely long term) before you can get any sort of benefits.

I do feel tho that saying that a person who is obese can diet and exercise to lose weight is like saying that someone with anxiety can get CBT or some other form of treatment and be cured.

Not all people of either respond in such a way that they would be cured of what ails them.

When we talk about someone who has a severe weight problem usually it's not because they are lazy.
    There is some underlying reason why they overeat or some physiological reason for the weight gain.
    I know that the example was only to show that the system itself is flawed but I felt the need to say that
    xxx
    Sandy
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    Lao-Tze

I too feel strongly about people pointing the finger at so called "fat people" (i'm not saying you are con, because it's the benefits that got you going) but it must be so very hurtful to hear such comments from people.

Like people have already said, a lot of the time there are underlying issues with this. sorry if i have gone a bit of the original subject

Ladybird for sure i do understand,

it was an example and i really did stress over what might come from posting it. Frustration for the most part and envy due to the 1 to 1 care aspect as well as the pittance we have to live on.

For people who cant catch buses we are paying to get help to make ourselves better so we dont need financial support.

Its backwards,

nanny that last part with the £67 really angers me, the system comes across like a robot with no empathy whatsoever.

We had a family member kill himself in Thailand and when the LOCAL PAPER asked us about it (how they knew we still dont know) we BEGGED them not put it in as it would cause more hurt.

They did anyway,

a local paper ffs!!

Sorry to keep jumping in and ranting but it really is an abomination and touches so many nerves with so many people.

CONS

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

I am one of those who do have an underactive thyroid and I am not overweight, nor am I on any benefits from the US government. I am not saying it is good nor bad to be either.

I will say that I was surprised at the statistics that you stated about the UK's obesity issue because I recently saw a program that stated how obese the USA was compared to the UK and your country was far less obese than ours. The reasons stated were the type of food you eat, you walk more, and are generally in better health due to your national health care system. I just wondered what any of you think about that? I tend to agree with the program that you are less obese than our country! The south is more obese than the north in the USA by the way. It is the way we cook, so they say!

Laura

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information