Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial side effects

Initial side effects

Just started Citalopram, been on it 6 days at 10mg and have just had an awful episode on the loo, very bad diarrhea. Is this a side effect, or my IBS kicking me while I'm down?

Re: Initial side effects

Could be the meds.Make sure you eat something before or when taking the tablet.Taking them on an empty stomach can cause this.Good luck.
    julie x

Thanks. I always take them after my dinner at about 7pm ish. I was fine first few days, but today feel pretty horrid.

Richard,

It can do that to you so don't worry to much. As a side note once I settled down on the citalpram it had the very welcome effect of sorting my IBS out. The Doc says that they sometimes use it for that purpose as well

Thanks, I'm sure it is just the drugs. But right now I'm wondering if I can keep going with them. I'm on the 4th day at 20mg (after 6 at 10mg) and my guts are dreadful, I'm losing weight and my nerves are absolutely fried. Never felt quite this low to be honest.

richard,

when we are feeling low, this can cause upset tummy's, but as the tablets kick in and you start to feel better this will all calm down...i think i lived with ibs for a year solid, now im trouble free....hope this helps

dawny xxxxx

richard
    i've been on citalopram for just over 3 weeks now for anxiety issues, the side effects i get seem to be an increased level of anxiety (ironic) then the loss of appetite, have used cipralex in the past which seemed to settle down after a couple of weeks, not sure if this drug is working for me or just takes longer to settle down, good luck to you though.

rickb

The increase in anxiety is doing my head in. Every morning I wake up (early, thanks to the side-effects) with incredible nervous feelings. I was hoping it would start to abate by now.

The only thing that's good about these drugs so far is they seem to have a sedating effect, so at least my evenings are pleasant.

Richard,

The early morning thing is the pills and it will settle down. I am about 8 weeks in and I sleep like a baby now. I had trouble for a few weeks, I kept waking at 3-4am and not being able to sleep.

The evening thing also seems to be classic with some people. I found I was OK in the evening and then gradually it became earlier and earlier until I felt OK all day long.

Stick with them - they say that the increase in anxiety is a good sign that they will work for you when you settle down on them

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll stick with it. I have a GP appointment next Wednesday so I'll review it then, and see what she thinks. I ended up taking the last two days off work with it, and that made me even more anxious to be honest as I started to worry I wouldn't be able to face going back. But I'm at my desk today, so that's a positive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information