28 53.85%
  • Should warn everytime

1 1.92%
  • Should warn and could contribute to anxieties

3 5.77%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: :: News Broadcasting Poll ::

Re: :: News Broadcasting Poll ::

I think newspapers in general are like that the world over, it's not UK specific.

I remember my old man always going on about Aussie papers when we lived there, and I read a couple of papers in Florida that where just as bias and sensationalistic (is that a word?).

I know in China there is no free press as such, but then again, you don't get tortured here for saying what you feel here

Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco45er View Post
    I think newspapers in general are like that the world over, it's not UK specific.

I remember my old man always going on about Aussie papers when we lived there, and I read a couple of papers in Florida that where just as bias and sensationalistic (is that a word?).

I know in China there is no free press as such, but then again, you don't get tortured here for saying what you feel here

Jaco
    Yep, I agree that many other countries are similar, only I do feel that British Media in particular likes to emphasise on the doom in the UK.

Not sure whether that such a comparison could be made with regards to China though lol.

Last edited by Oceanblue; 27-10-08 at 12:27.

I just avoid watching the news completely because it is always depressing and I have enough problems with depression already.

I don't really get anxious about news stories but I prefer to avoid watching at all.

Karen xx

I agree with Jaco
    News should never be censored, if it happens ? we all need to know.

If watching the news makes you ill, then don't watch it.
    That is what the "off" button is for.

The opinions stated above are the personal opinions of the writer, and not intended to offend or denigrate any opinions held by anyone else.

I think it's kinda funny, I think it's kinda sad,
    The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

Generally speaking, media outlets know their audience and vice versa. If you buy The Sun, you know what you are getting. If you are offended by page 3 girls, you don't buy it. If bad news upsets you, best not to look at any at all. News outlets with a broader audience need to be a bit more careful. If a 6pm BBC TV news bulletin wants to show a images of dead soldiers, for example, then it will issue a warning that some people may find it distressing. People then have a few moments to switch over or send the kids out of the room, whatever they wish. Most broadcasters do this.

If a media outlet oversteps the mark, it's audience will soon let it know precisely what it thinks and the outlet will be suitably chastened. Look at the Brand/Ross furore going on right now. It's not a perfect system, but the alternatives aren't that great either (cf Churchill on democracy).

Hmmm this is an interesting one.

Cons, I understand that the content of the news can upset people, of course it does, with this illness things play on our minds and it adds to our anxiety. With depression of course, hearing all the terrible things that are going on in the world could only add to one's depressive state of mind.

In your poll I put that maybe there should be a warning if the content could be distressing - it was something like that on the poll.

We have the privilege of getting the news of what's happening around the world and around the corner to us. Knowledge is good. I would hate a society where stuff is hidden fromus.

If it's a case of "I only want to hear good news" then in my opinion you just don't watch the news. We all know when news times are and we can avoid watching it if we want to.

I think the media in general are very good at giving out warnings if there is something distressing in a programme which I think is only right. Some things on television are extremely disturbing and certain things I defo choose not to watch.

No I really do think the news has to be broadcast without warning unless it contains something which could be upsetting/distressing for certain people. You know what they say don't you "No news is good news" lol.

Take care all.

Yvonne

My opinion: the world sucks and if you can't deal with that, tough luck.

There is too much blaming goes in this country and not enough taking responsibility for our own problems and anxieties. Having a TV is a choice, not an obligation.

I avoid the news on the whole because it's all too depressing, but if I happen to catch the headlines I just think it's my own stupid fault.

The next step beyond blaming the media for exposing us to reality is blaming it FOR reality.
    And fill it with devils and dust.
    - Bruce Springsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    The next step beyond blaming the media for exposing us to reality is blaming it FOR reality.
    Not all Media tell's it how it is though, which is why it's best to gain knowledge from different sources, can all be kind of like chinese whispers. Am I allowed to say that ? lol (sorry if I've offended anyone re; the Chinese Whispers).

I will stick with "the glass is half full" attitude

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco45er View Post
    I will stick with "the glass is half full" attitude
    Lol,.. I was once 'the glass is half empty' kind of person too.

Never looking back on that again !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information