Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Poos

Black Poos

As if I haven't got enough to worry about at the moment I am now producing black poos. I know that in the past this means blood in my faeces. This is usually followed by a 'poo' sample to the lab for them to confirm this. I know I have a superficial fissure so it could be that that is bleeding but black? Sorry if this is TMI If the lab confirms blood then it is off to see the gastroenterologist and possibly a colonoscopy. Not pleasant but bearable. The thing is I'm already thinking I've got bowel cancer. There is colon cancer in the family so it is not all irrational thinking. I'm not off my head yet. So do I leave it or face up to it. Have IBS so perhaps that is causing this symptom? I haven't been eating anything that could produce this.

Re: Black Poos

Are you on iron tablets? That will do it. I am and mine are the same as yours

No I'm not taking iron tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethJane View Post
    As if I haven't got enough to worry about at the moment I am now producing black poos. I know that in the past this means blood in my faeces. This is usually followed by a 'poo' sample to the lab for them to confirm this. I know I have a superficial fissure so it could be that that is bleeding but black? Sorry if this is TMI If the lab confirms blood then it is off to see the gastroenterologist and possibly a colonoscopy. Not pleasant but bearable. The thing is I'm already thinking I've got bowel cancer. There is colon cancer in the family so it is not all irrational thinking. I'm not off my head yet. So do I leave it or face up to it. Have IBS so perhaps that is causing this symptom? I haven't been eating anything that could produce this.
    I think for it to be serious, your faeces would come out looking like tar.
    I went through this some time ago, doctor reassured me.

Red

i think you can take comfort in knowing that you've had this before, and the cause was nothing sinister. if i were you, i'd check. but then i have health anxiety, so tests are my new drug these days.

If your over 40 you should have a colonoscopy anyway,

i was thinking the obvious being iron, but as you ruled that out i would wait and see how it goes for a couple more days to be sure its consistent.

CONS

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

Hi Elizabeth Jane

I've had this happen to me twice now. Funnily enough I had been to a wedding on both occasions and the following morning had a black poo. It frightened the life out of me and it was on a Sunday morning so I panicked even more. The first time it happened I called NHS Direct who advised me to go to the emergency docs. I was examined and he confirmed that I had "old blood" in my poo. He gave me tablets and it cleared up in a couple of days. He said I probably over indulged at the wedding!! 3 months later in happened for the second time, again on a Sunday morning following a wedding. This time the doc told me I'd have to go to hospital for tests straight away (my worst nightmare). I had lots of tests done, including a chest xray and everything came back clear. I then had to have a colonoscopy (not a very pleasant experience), this came back ok and I then had a barium meal xray which was also clear. The consultant told me it was just one of those things and nothing to worry about. So it can happen occasionally and be completely harmless. I would suggest you visit your GP though just to make sure.
    By the way I'm a 51yr old female, not sure if age comes into it.

Good luck and take care x

I have been to the docs today but I was so wrapped up in talking about the panic and anxiety I forgot about the black poos ( which are still black by the way) I'm putting some of it down to anti depressant withdrawals as I have diahorrea too. I have calmed down since yesterday and feel a colonoscopy might be on the cards in the future. I'm forty seven by the way.

I find that red wine can cause this on occasion!

Have you been taking any pepto - bismol ? This can cause black poos as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information