Thread: Raised, Pulsating veins in the temple area?

Raised, Pulsating veins in the temple area?

Now, i don't know what this is but every now and then the veins in the side of my head (particularly the right side) start to throb and i can feel it without touching them....They usually occur when i get hot etc. but because i then worry that there is something wrong i start to get even more hot and sweaty which makes them alot worse! Then i usually find myself infront of the mirror feeling them to see if they have gone down and most of the time i can actually see them in the mirror clearly pulsating.... What is this? Is it blood pressure? Please advise!

Thanks

Re: Raised, Pulsating veins in the temple area?

When you get too hot your body sends more blood to the outside of your body, to your skin. Your blood is then cooled by radiation and conduction. So your blood vessels become more obvious when you are hot - that's partly why people go red when they are hot. It makes sense that the veins in your head look more prominent when you are hot. Also, it's probably more obvious on your head than in other areas of the body because you have lots of blood vessels there, and the skin is quite thin.

Some people just have more prominent veins than others. I have quite obvious veins in my arms and chest. It runs in my family, and doesn't seem to be associated with high blood pressure. Hope that helps.

Re: Raised, Pulsating veins in the temple area?

Thanks mate nice one thats made me feel a bit better about it now cheers

Thread Information