Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Propranolol and Alcohol?

Re: Propranolol and Alcohol?

Hi All,

I'm reposting this from an old web post, but it does indicate that there is a difficulty with the term "depressant". A neurotransmitter depressant, may, in fact, have a stimulatory effect.

Date: Wed Apr 21 19:12:08 1999
    Posted By: Phyllis Pugh, Post-doc/Fellow, Neurobiology, Medical College of Ohio
    Area of science: Neuroscience

Yes, alcohol appears to act as both a depressant and a stimulant (this is referred to as a biphasic response)…

The question you ask is actually rather complex, because, in general, alcohol functions at the neuronal level to block or inhibit receptors. If the receptors being inhibited are excitatory (for example, glutamate receptors), then alcohol's effect is inhibitory (blocking a positive thing); if, however, those receptors are inhibitory (for example, GABA receptors), then the negation is actually stimulatory (block a negative thing results in a positive, just like a normal double negative.)

Hanshan

Alcohol is a depressant and that needs to be very clearly stated. However if consumed in large enough quantities it can the heart work harder to pump blood around the body. You will probably notice this more the day after or when coming off a drinking binge. If anything that's when the propanolol will come in handy. I just wouldn't take them if I was drinking more than 1 or 2 pints - the alcohol will do the job just as successfully in my experience.
    If you can avoid drinking to excess - better still.
    I am not medically qualified but I use betablockers and I have abused alcohol in the past.
    I don't recommend it to anyone but just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter.

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

I think it's fair to say that by depressing certain areas of the brain you in turn manage to stimulate others - I think that's the alcohol effect. Some of us may have witnessed this if we were brave - or drunk - enough to have ventured into town last night

Although it's many many years ago now - I also drank excessively at one time. I was told that the first three drinks raise serotonin levels in the brain, but that drinking more than this can have a depressant effect. I have no idea how scientifically accurate this is - but for me it was certainly true

Belle x

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Th rule of thumb is that you can have a drink or two but not get competely blattered on a regular basis.

A high proportion of slightly rotund middle aged + drinkers in your local pub are liley to have been through the betablockers catagory at some stage and continued with their pub outings.

Propanolol is lipid soluable so gets excreted by the liver so you want to maintain some sort of function there... ...

Betablockers slow your heart rate and a stimulant like alcohol naturally increases the heart rate so they are working against each other..

Have a good game. As you're new on them it would be wise to listen to how you feel between pints ..

Meg
    Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...
    Sorry, I only signed up because I was shocked at this post and it's inaccuracy, this post immediately needs to be edited out by the moderators/admins, as it contains fallacious medical information.

Alcohol is not a "stimulant" it is a depressant drug, and drinking alcohol while taking beta-blockers is dangerous it can kill you.

If you have no clue of what you're talking about then refrain from spreading ignorance on the internet.

Edit* just seen some of the other members picking up on the fact that alcohol is a depressant.

Alcohol slows your breathing down and relaxes your muscles, and slows down your reaction time, this is exactly why it is a depressant and no a stimulant, if may give you the false perception of being a stimulant while being intoxicated but there is no reputable medical book out there which would state that alcohol is a stimulant. It's a CNS depressant, it is plain and simple as that. I am shocked to see even one of the administrator trying to endorse this so called "nurses" post.

cite: www .bridgew. edu/alcohol/fastfacts/Alcohol_Facts.pdf

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Concern - Meg is no longer active on the forum but is a RGN. (nurse).

I was just wondering how you found this post as it is very old now.
    So, basically you can get a basic diploma and pretty much anyone can be a RGN nurse, just pay the fee. Even a level 3 nvq is enough to get into training. and eventually get registered with the NMC. It isn't like an actual MBBS.

Edit**: Sorry, it seems like my last paragraph is sounding like an insult directed at nurses. I don't want anyone to misconstrue my post as such so I want to make it clear that I am not insulting nurses, who have the credentials and do a great job, I was trying to point out that the training isn't as rigorous as getting a doctorates.
    Last edited by K-OSS; 22-07-13 at 18:12.

I will pass on your comments to Meg for her to respond. Thanks

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information