Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: :: Full Blown Attack Help ::

:: Full Blown Attack Help ::

Ok ive had many panic attacks but only LATELY have i had the full blown effects.

1. Dizziness
    2. Irrational thoughts, unable to conncentrate
    3. Racing heart
    4. Shaking hands (going cold and shaking head to foot, fully clothed under covers)
    5. Hard to swallow but constant swallowing
    6. Feeling like my jumpers are strangling me as im wearing them
    7. Dry mouth
    8. Stomache cramping up (im male for the record), feeling sick
    9. Headaches more often than usual
    10. Sleep pattern messed up from 9 hours a day to 6
    11. Aching arms and legs going numb whilst lying down

3-4 days ago i had the paramedics out as i had all of the above happening at once. I calmed down within 10-15 mins of him being there. Today it tried to happen again but luckily i rung my local MIND office and the woman on the phone calmed me down within 10-15 mins.

When it happened both times i tried ACCEPTANCE "oh ots ok its part of me" and breathing techniques, all of which seemed to be too little too late.

The smaller aspects of my panic i have under control and HAVE accepted it as part of me. This however is horrific and scares me as i cant seem to get a hold over it.

Please, please, please tell me ways in which you guys deal with it when this comes along so i can calm myself instead of relying on paramedics and a voice on the end of the phone. (both i am very thankfull for)

Any advice welcomed,

CONS

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

Re: :: Full Blown Attack Help ::

Hi Cons,

Full blown attacks are terribly scary but like your less scary symptoms they too are transient. I think the main thing I have learned is no two people are the same and no two treatment plans will work for both. Learning ways that work for you is a huge step in the right direction. There is some great advice on here from people who have tried all manner of things to help them cope and get better.

I learned through breathing techniques and seeing a therapist I was able to work through most of the attacks to where I didn't have any for a long time. I would still have anxiety and feelings like sweaty palms or racing heart in certain situations but I could make them stop. When the attacks returned it was so disheartening but I am working again to make them stop and I have not had an attack in over a month now.

I still have some anxiety but I know I can deal with that. I know you can too, you just have to find the technique that is right for you when you have the more severe symptoms. I am not sure if people with our disorders ever are truly anxiety free, but we can be free enough from this awful fear to live without feeling like we are going to die.

I wish you well and I hope you find the technique that works for you real soon.

Lila

Appreciate that Lila,

kinda searching for the holy grail i suppose, the full blown as and when it happens is what i need to calm myself down from. I tried breathing and im lined up for group therapy in 6 weeks also.

But these full blowns have come twice in 3-4 days and THAT is what i need tips for.

Ive read and looked at others tips but i was hoping from my list of symptoms that someone who has managed to calm themselves down might reply to.

Ty Lila,

CONS

William Butler Yeats

Hiya Cons
    Yes i can relate to all of your symptoms, ive been suffering now for over a year and struggled on without taking meds, not sure if thats a good thing or not sometimes lol, anyway the thing i use to help me in a full blown panic attack, is bachs rescue remedy i find it really does help to calm me down, you can but it from most chemists and also some supermarkets.
    Hope ive been of some help take care POLLY xx

Interesting polly,

Bachs rescue remedy eh?, im close to being med free as im only on diazepam nowadays.

Hopefully you can explain a little more about what it is and what it does but i will ask my mother to get me some tomorrow from the chemist. I will google it now and have a read but can you explain how it makes you feel and if it works in the midst of it happening?

Anymore for anymore,

Ty polly,

CONS

William Butler Yeats

Hi again,

I took Rescue remedy and found it helpful. It is a plant based tincture that has properties that help some people feel more relaxed and in touch with their emotions. It literally helps 'rescue' you from your building anxiety symptoms. As with everything it works for some and not for others. I think it is very helpful. Good call Polly! I had forgotten to mention it in my post.

Lila

TY Lila that helps alot,

im sure many people who read this will try it. As you said its herbal and will work well for some but maybe not for others, personally i dont care if it has a placebo effect, all for the good of the cause.

Ty again,

CONS

William Butler Yeats

Hiya mate. Have you read the symptoms page to the left? You probably already have but maybe you should do so again just to reasure yourself as to why you have those symptoms and that they wont hurt you. You also need to reasure yourself that you have had paramedics out to you and they calmed you down so its anxiety and nothing else as i know it can sometimes feel there wrong. I had the paramedics out to me 3 times in a space of a week as i was sure it was something else and i was dying as the attacks were so strong.
    Are you putting your life on hold alot too at the moment? for example i was in my room alot very scared to go out ect and worried about having a panic attack. That in turn got me so anxious i started getting tingles in arm pains in chest ect then usually a full blown attack. I wouldnt drive ect either because i was so anxious and spaced out ect for a good while as i let it dominate me. It takes a hell of alot to to combat it and it wont go overnight, but you need to fight back bud.

All the best

Ken

Yeah ken,

im pretty much housebound at the moment but thats ok, means to an end.

Im not depressed though, just hard to accept something you feel you need to fight. Going to try the Bachs Rescue Remedy if its in stock around here, for the next time it surfaces.

Ty for the reply ken,

CONS

William Butler Yeats

Hiya Cons
    Think lila pretty much expalined how the recue remmedy works, forgot to say they also do it in the form of pasteks which you can suck and a new nightime remmedy, the resue drops you can add to water and just sip when requires, by the time you read this your mum will hopefully have got you some and i do hope it helps you, let us know how you get on with it
    LOVE POLLY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information