Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depersonalization: Please help

Depersonalization: Please help

Hey, this is my first time posting and I'd just really appreciate any help anyone could give who has or is suffering from depersonalization. I developed this problem about 6 weeks ago after coming off Lyrica and have been freaking out with it ever since. About two weeks ago, my psychiatrist prescribed me Prozac but I came off it after 4 days because it was making things 10 times worse. I am desperate for help with this. I feel like I can't leave the house. I'm too scared and upset to do anything but watch TV and turn catatonic. I want to feel again. I wish I could even cry about this but I can't. Has anyone got any advice or help? I have never felt so alone.

Re: Depersonalization: Please help

Quote Originally Posted by dohertpk View Post
    Hey, this is my first time posting and I'd just really appreciate any help anyone could give who has or is suffering from depersonalization. I developed this problem about 6 weeks ago after coming off Lyrica and have been freaking out with it ever since. About two weeks ago, my psychiatrist prescribed me Prozac but I came off it after 4 days because it was making things 10 times worse. I am desperate for help with this. I feel like I can't leave the house. I'm too scared and upset to do anything but watch TV and turn catatonic. I want to feel again. I wish I could even cry about this but I can't. Has anyone got any advice or help? I have never felt so alone.
    Hi there,

Depersonalisation is such a horrible thing. My anxiety, panic and depression has been on and off for years, infact since as long as I can remember.

For the past 10 months, I had a huge break - I thought I may have been clear and free from it all, but I was wrong. For over a month now it's hit me full on once again. Horrible and very hard to live with.

From what I know about Prozac, it's a very good medication, I have researched a fair bit and can say that by research aswell as my own experience this drug can cause our Anxiety to heighten in the first couple of weeks of starting. Usually,.. those feelings die down, although sometimes in some cases they don't. If this is the case it's possible that the drug isn't suitable for you or the dosage maybe too high for you.

I would say that 4 days isn't enough time for your body to adjust and make balance with the medication. I do though, understand fully well those heightened anxious feelings you have been experiencing. I believe 2 weeks is the max for prozac to know whether it has worked for you, and that the side effects have subsided.

Of course i'm no expert and so can only suggest what I know and have experienced myself. Everybody is very different.

I think it'll be best for you to talk to your doctor and explain what you have just here to us.

Take care and wishing you well.

By the way, never think you're alone. Everyones here to support you.
    Last edited by Oceanblue; 17-10-08 at 01:14.

you are not alone, better days are ahead. i know it gets tough but you will get through this!

Sorry to hear you are having this. I also had it and it was the worst. I can tell you it goes away. The only way to do this is to not fear it anymore. I know it sounds hard, but once the fear is gone the symptom will go to. I did this by telling myself that I wasnt scared of this and it wont kill me but if it wanted to go ahead and do it. I would yell it out loud when no one was home and it took a awile for my head to actually believe it. It is gone now. I will sometime get a 5 minute episode when I am overtired. Prozac was the only med I ever tried and had to be taken to the ER for a shot to counteract the effects of it. I have never taken another med and am doing very well now for 6 months. You can do it. It takes time and alot of effort. Take awat the fear and the rest will follow.

Hey, sorry to hear you are suffering from this :(
    I recently discovered what depersonalization is, and when i realized what it was-it was a shoker, because i understood so many things i felt in the past was derealization/depersonalization. I remeber something new every day from my past and link it to dr/dp.
    But, even though i knew what it was, i still had a hard time getting over it. It is one of those things that precedes anxiety or follows after it, and you also may feel it when you are finally getting over the anxiety.
    This CAN be beat WITHOUT medication-because now here i am, suffering from it ten times less than i used to. I realized it is totally harmless, that i WONT go crazy from it and that it can't hurt me.
    This is one of those things that you, after time will come to terms with and hopefully get over.

Best of luck,
    Monika

you can pm me if you have any more questions. i am quite knowledgable on the subject.

To heal ilness, begin by restoring balance.

Speak or act negativly, pain follows, Speak or act with a pure heart, and happiness follows.

It's never too late to create a new body.

Wellness is our natural state. Disease is an imposter.

Hi I suffer with derealization and know how you feel. Sometimes when I get an episode it can last hours. You just have to try and relax and tell yourself it will pass. Mine has not gone yet but I know it will eventually.

hiya just wanted to add i was on prozac for nearly 2 yrs and it was really good, i will say though it takes a good 2 or even 3 weeks to kick in and any side effects do go away after awhile although u may feel alittle tired.

4 days is really not long enough and i think mayb try them for good few months cos im sure they will help u.
    hugs xxxx

You are not alone. It is one of my worst symptoms and can last for long periods (weeks).

I have found it very hard to live with but following advice from here I try to accept it an move one through - it's not pleasant but I keep reminding myself that it does pass and I do feel better which makes each time a little easier.

Hope it passes for you soon.
    Annie x

Stupid question probably, but is depersonalisation due to the depression or the drugs?

Hiya

This is the chicken and egg thing, no one knows, I think it is the brains way of protecting its self in extreme anxiety, maybe it releases certain chemicals which are also present in the drugs, who knows?

It is a worrying symptoms and probably I find one that makes people question if they are going mad or something horrible, I was terrfied of this before I started coming on here but most folks on here seem to know what it is and have experienced it, I would try not to worry about it like I do I tend to pick up a book or a magazine or watch T.V

take care

Heather

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information