Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pregnancy and panic/medication

Hiya,

Thought I might give you my side.

I started getting very anxious when I was pregnant with my 2nd
    This continued when he was born and I was diagnosed with PND. i don't know if I have PND but definetly have GAD. The joy of seeing the wee man grow and learn outweighs it all though.

Being with the kids though sometimes takes my mind of the anxiety as they need bathed, fed and loved.
    Also the kids need things too. my oldest wanted to go to a pantomime and the person i was supposed to go with pulled out at the last minute. i didn't want to go alone but couldn't let my son down. I wouldn't have went for anyone else.

I'm not saying having a baby caused my anxiety it didn't. i have been anxious for years having a baby brought it to a head

Maybe now is the time to say anxiety won't beat me I want a baby and this has ruled my life for long enough

Love
    Lucky

Mums are great aren't they.

My mums cure is to get me married off and pregnant, then I'll be ok. I say, until I can sort myself out, I don't want to be relying on another person. (I also have never had any desire to have a baby - stretch marks, getting fat, not being able to drink and smoke, the actual birth itself, then having a living breathing thing to lug round for years to come - no thanks) Anyway, my friends have some beautiful children, who I just kidnap whenever I feel the need. And more importantly return at the end of the day!!!!!

I am still not sure how the physical strain of being pregnant, the lack of sleep, and the extra responsibility can make anxiety go away!!! And it's not something I'd try as a cure either!!!

I have two friends (neither of them on meds) who have just had babies. They both suffered from anxiety and panic before pregnant, and they both still suffer now. However, it's interesting as their focus of panic has changed. The one who was a bit agrophobic can now go out (due to having to go to clinic/doctors with baby), but is now anally retentive about housework and order and lives her life to a strict timetable. I often wonder if you altered that if she would unravel. I've never bought it up, but it seems to be there under the surface!

Charlie

Having a baby is never going to be a cure, but if you really want to be a mum you should go for it. There'll never be a right or good time if your permanently anxious. The anxiety might last for life but your chances of motherhood wont. Its amazing what you can cope with when you have no alternative.

Hi Mags
    thanks for that. Your answer seems to make so much sense when you put it like that!!!
    Love Sarah
    xx
    p.s I dont want a baby as a potential 'cure'. Its something ive wanted since i was little but have just been to scared lately. Im 30 now and got married 2 years ago and it just seems like the natural thing to do now.

Sarah

Then go for it girl. The last thing my daddy told me before he died was that he was going to the grave with no regrets. And there aren't many who can say that. So if it's what you really both want, then do it.

You can always send out a panic e-mail for help with the babysitting!

Charlie

hiya Charlie

you have promoted yourself to the top of my babysitting list....lol

love Sarah
    xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information