Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone found a medication that actually works?

anyone found a medication that actually works?

i know ssris are the front line med given by most gps but ive never really got on with them,i find the initial side effects worse than the illness and tend to give up on them after 2 weeks.

if you have found a med that is low in side effects and has helped your SA i would be interested to hear.

Re: anyone found a medication that actually works?

hey

dont know what ure background is but i found in social situations i got anxious and my heart started to race etc

I am on propanalol which is a beta-blocker and basically just stops ure heart from racing- i find this helps - or calms me as i dotn think i am having a heart attack

also use rescue rememdy sometimes.

x

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
    - Lao Tse

Hi Pete,

in answer to your question - unfortunately no, although I am on cipralex

hi diazapan works for me im on only 5mg so low dose 3 times a day short term but when my attacks are bad they do calm me rite down, that and breathing slowly hope this helps x

im on amitryptline but not for anixety but prolapses.I notice a differece in my mood when i drop my dosage down and seem to get panicky.Dont know whether it is in my head or actually the withdrawel.This taken at a higher dose is for depression and i am now on 100mg per night.
    I did try to reduce them down in jan of this year but did it too quickly and ended up haveing some really bad panic attacks.the out of hours dr told me to up them straight up and was really miffed as my own drs allow me to self medicate and hand these tablets out willy nilly.I now think i am addicted and get panicky about having them taken off me.
    The only side effects i notice is a dry mouth and swelling to my hands and feet occasionly

Donna

some different med answers from you all-i was thinking more in terms for social anxiety,i am currently on klonopin and it helps great with my sa,just cant imagine docs keeping me on it for the next 5 years really.

propanolol does nout for me,
    cipralex side effects terrible
    diazepam used to work good but the honeymoon is over
    amitryptline is that an anti-psycotic?

nardil is my last hope if i get it on weds,but i was reading on a site the formula was changed in 2003 by pfizer and its nowhere near as effective as it usd to be -but they still have kept to the same recommeded doses?
    anyways good luck all and i think the answer really if im honest lies with cbt and forcing my arse to confront fears without my meds.....

cheers

i take 20mgs citalopram a day, no side effects i can feel after taking it for 2 years now.

Before i was on venlafaxine 20mgs for 5 years and that was horrible, sweating, bloated, headaches, severe tiredness etc...

beta blockers sucked and diazepam made me want to sleep all the time too.

Every person reacts differently to thier medicine, what works for me might not for you!

Hello static

What a reassuring post, I have just taken my first citalopram, hope it works for me as well as it did for you, I think anti-depressants are a bit like the pill or cold remedies ie what works for one may not work for another!

Heres to hope

Love

Heather

Pete

Amitriptylene is a tricyclic. You wanna try another one? The Nardil is worth a try it's just the diet restrictions which may be a prob. If the Nardil is no help try Venlaflaxine or Duloxetine.

It would be good if you could stay on the Klonos for life cos they do it for you. I personally would take anything now to live a normal life - gimme benzos gimme whatever as long as it helps.

Yes get some cbt down you, it's hard work and it isn't easy to think differently I can assure you. However, we have to try these things.

Take care Pete x

Yvonne

thanks yvonne,
    think im gonna pass if he offers me venlafaxine,have read to many bad storys
    on it.really its the nardil or nout-i will probs ask to be signed off and just get my klonos from gp.
    i could be on them for the rest of my anxiety days,i know a few good www i have purchased from before so thats not a prob.
    just want something ticking away in the background making me confident rather than the obvious effect of a benzo.

its a toughie aint it

i will post back tomoz and let u know how it went.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information