Thread: An idea.... Just an idea mind

Smile An idea.... Just an idea mind

Hi all,
    i'm new here and i think i read about this place on Talk depression (although i can't remember)

well... i've been taking citalopram for about two months (and feeling much beter!) and the doctor decided i had moderate depression and ' a bit of anxiety'

i've always been a nervous person since as long as i can remember

i have had a bad back since i started college 2003 ( belive that that is tension) it seem's to happen when i'm stressed and eases when the stress is over.

earlier in the year i had alot of problems which resulted in me moving away from home and then being thrown out (i had intended to go back home, but now can not)

i was just wondering if maybe the depression could be caused by anxiety?
    ( think i've read somewhere it can)

if it's just anxiety? (i'm sure i've read anxiety can mimic depression)

i'm feeling alot better, and am just curious really

thank you

joe

Re: An idea.... Just an idea mind

hi joe

Im reading a book just now n it says in that that depression can be caused by anxiety and also anxiety caused by depression.

It states that depression is a feeling of being low- but anxiety is more a thought- a predicament a what if - usually resulting in a catastrophic image or thought which brings on fear which brings on panic.

I do believe personally though that depression can be caused by anxiety- i avoid doing things (getting better now but at one point avoided almost any social activity apart from work) and as a result of avoidance i think about what went on, what i missed etc etc and that causes depression

There are however different types of depression- clinical/ non clinical so i suppose we could sit and debate the subject for hours

x

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
    - Lao Tse

My own feeling is that anxiety will always be likely to cause a depressed state but depression can exist without anxiety.

When I was prescribed various ad's, they always lifted my mood for a short while but never long term so they had to be changed frequently. It was because the effect never lasted that convinced them that I suffered from anxiety and not depression.

To determine whether someone is suffering from depression or anxiety, I would ask them to ask themselves if they are worried, frightened or feeling stressed and if so, I would say it's more likely that they are feeling depressed because of their anxiety in which case I'd suggest they try to treat the actual causes to their anxiety by tackling their worries, overcoming their fear or changing their lifestyle etc.

My feeling is that if someone is suffering with anxiety and they feel depressed, they are suffering from a "depressed state" due to events, experiences or fears whereas someone who suffers "true" depression can think of no obvious reason other than hormonal or biological in which cases I feel ad's are more effective.

I just feel that if we feel depressed due to anxiety, anxiety is another word for worry and worry is caused by fear so how can an ad cure our fear? It can only ease the symptoms whereas it can cure true depression because it lifts a sufferers mood...........but that's just my own "layman" feeling on the subject.

Thank you both for your replies!

Some good food for thought!

What you both say makes perfect sense, i am also seeing a counsellor who is helping me work through some difficulties.

Thank you

Joe

Re: An idea.... just to share

Hi,
    i have studied many articles on depression & anxiety. both affects the human attitudes & behaviour by creating stress in the brain. I think there are many things which we can improve if they are getting worse. We should locate the causes of anxiety before treating anxiety by antidepreent med. IN our surroundings there are many fears penetrating to our mind. fears comming into mind is natural but having these fears for a long time cause damage to the brain.
    There are many tips & techniques that can reduce anxiety and can improve one's mental health.

khan

Thread Information