Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to kick in?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: How long does it take to kick in?

I know what you mean Panic ... I was the same - thought I was making progress, then all of a sudden the depression came back. After 6 weeks of sertraline my psych said it should have done more by now and put me on a tricyclic AD lofepramine which works differently to SSRIs. Fingers crossed ... I found sertraline to be a very up-and-down med but it seems to work really well for some. Hope you feel better soon mate!

I hope the new meds work out for you Melancholia. I think I*m going to ask my Gp if can up the dose when I see him this week. Still on 50mg - It def works to some degree but I don*t think enough to block out the anxiety totally.
    [Worrying won't protect - it doesn't help and can only make worse. Short term relief of anxiety by google etc doesn't help in the long run and the fact your acting on it only makes worse - let it pass over you

"Rem it kicks in at the unconscious level, thats why, triggers are the cause, remeber the anxiety is like the adrenal system kicking in fight or flight for what you think is no reason, the unconscious is the part that fires this responce"]

Seen a different GP today and he suggested I up'd my dose to 100mg before I had chance to ask him - so going give it go. He also said it can take a couple of months sometimes for sertaline to fully kick in in some patients.

Found this on side effects - may help:
    More than 5% of patients experience insomnia , dizziness, and headache. About 14% of men report delayed ejaculation while 6% report decreased sex drive while taking this drug. In order to reduce these sexual side effects, patients can wait for tolerance to develop (this may take up to 12 weeks), reduce the dose, have drug holidays (where the weekend dose is either decreased or skipped), or discus with their physician using a different antidepressant.
    More than 10% of patients report nausea and diarrhea while taking sertraline. Other possible side effects include agitation, anxiety, rash, constipation, vomiting, tremors, or visual difficulty. Although most side effects eventually subside, it may take up to four weeks for people to adjust to the drug.

Last edited by Panic33; 08-10-09 at 20:55.
    [Worrying won't protect - it doesn't help and can only make worse. Short term relief of anxiety by google etc doesn't help in the long run and the fact your acting on it only makes worse - let it pass over you

"Rem it kicks in at the unconscious level, thats why, triggers are the cause, remeber the anxiety is like the adrenal system kicking in fight or flight for what you think is no reason, the unconscious is the part that fires this responce"]

Been on Sertraline for 7weeks now, 6 weeks at 50mg, then the last week up'd to 100mg. Can honestly say today I total feel back to my old self and have been feeling Ok most of the week. I'm not for one min thinking my anxiety will be over, but just to let people know the treatment does seem to work. I went through hell for the first two weeks then had anxiety for 4 after, but this week alot better. I would say if you are having trouble try to stick it out and speak with your GP.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Really pleased for you Panic and hope you continue to feel well. The higher dose seems to have done the trick, but I still think it's a very up-and-down process for me. I'm still taking 50mg and getting really bad tiredness during the day. 100mg would probably zombify me! Some people have insomnia with sertraline but it's been the opposite for me ... never slept better ...

I was getting tiredness all the time too at 50mg, but since I've been feeling better on 100mg the tiredness has more or less gone. Hope u OK

Saw my GP again this week after being on 100mg for the last 4weeks and feeling fine 99% of the time. Wants me to take for another month then start to come off them

Hi Panic!

I have been on sertraline for 8 days, just had my first day of pure anxiety hell since taking the tablets. im only on 25mg but yesterday i took 35mg just to gradually up the dose as my doctor said to go to 50 after 7 days. I was feeling better the first week i felt completely numb and didnt seem to care much about the things i used to worry about but today was like the worst panic ever! i really hate feeling like this amd my head is punding. its really painful. I just want to ask if youy think it will get better?

thanks and im so glad your feeling better now after a rough time of it! x

hi im on propranolol and sertaline its my fourth day on sertaline and im not sure which one is making me ill or their both are but i feel awful im on 50mg of sertaline and ment to be 40mg propranolol four times a day but im only taking one as i seem to be in a daze cant seem to do anything feel dizzy i ache all over have a burning sensation through my body and impaired vision dont know weather to stop the pro and stick with the sertaline and see if i inprove really not doing well im really hopeing its the side effects!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was on propranalol but dr took me off them because i was so dizzy i couldn't do anything and they gave me really bad headaches snd blurred vision. i take 100mg sertraline and am fine with them. have you gone back to your dr and said how they make you feel

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information