View Poll Results: Has anxiety caused your weight to change?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it has stayed the same

15 10.34%
  • Yes, I've gained weight

26 17.93%
  • Yes, I've lost weight

104 71.72%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: weight loss

weight loss

Since I've been suffering from health anxiety I've been losing loads of weight. People are now beginning to comment on my thinness........ and while I try to tell myself that it is just because my appetite is suppressed, part of me worries it is a symptom of some awful disease......
    have others found anxiety has done strange things to your weight?

Re: weight loss

Weight is probably my biggest single issue, and something I dwell on. Because of the operations I've had (gallbladder, then having had pancreatitis) I constantly worry my liver/bile duct/pancreas isn't working properly. I do notice I now have great difficulty putting weight on. However when my anxiety is bad the weight literally falls off and that just powers a cycle of further anxiety which is difficult to control.

I find that a good dose of anxiety helps me lose weight, it just drops off me.
    Last edited by agent orange; 16-05-09 at 11:12. Reason: did not read correctly

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    Since I've been suffering from health anxiety I've been losing loads of weight. People are now beginning to comment on my thinness........ and while I try to tell myself that it is just because my appetite is suppressed, part of me worries it is a symptom of some awful disease......
    have others found anxiety has done strange things to your weight?

It's like i wrote that, I thought i hand cancer or something, I knew in the back of my head it was anxiety but I just couldn't believe it was at the time

W hen I have bad anxiety, the weight drops off me, but when the anxiety eases I get my appetite back and put the weight back on again, I guess the anxiety regulates any weight gain, so I don't bother dieting. If ever I got free from anxiety I would balloon!!

Hi there

I'm a pretty thin person anyway so when I go through a bad patch with the anxiety I lose weight and it is pretty noticeable. I don't find so much that my appetite is suppressed - I always make an extra special effort to eat three good meals a day when I'm jittery just because I know how much worse I feel when you add low blood sugar to the mix! But if I have a few days of bad panic my digestive system goes mad - my food just seems to go right through me (sorry!) because my stomach is just a ball of nerves. Plus I'm, more physically agitated than I would usually be - my muscles are all tensed and I'm constantly fidgeting - that takes more energy. Plus I sleep less soundly, which means I'm moving around more, which means I'm burning more calories. Result is that I look and feel pretty awful! But I find taking control, making an extra effort to eat well makes me feel a lot better - firstly because eating is obviously a good thing, and secondly because I feel like I'm taking control of something. Which always helps me a little.

Take care

xx

Hello,
    I have to agree with Miss Alissa, as I am virtually the same. I have lost over a stone in weight and worry sometimes. I tell myself that after having tummy problems, a lack of appetite, no tea, cakes, biscuits and only drinking water, what did I expect! That on top of a body that being in a permanent state of anxiety is using up fuel like there is no tomorrow.

Hi jojo2316

Well I lost a dramatic amount of weight when at my worst at the same time as having a very bad stomach bug. I used to put on a big coat to avoid people commenting - any comments would just go to confirm that I must be ill. I still suffer from HA but no weight loss now - just a series of symptons chasing around a very tense body!!!!

Rebecca x

^ it isn't a diet forum, there are loads of other sites out there for that (btw, sounds like they want you to be postively underweight, you take care of yourself <3)

I lost 12lbs once in about 4 weeks without trying when I was really worked up over something relationship related last year. I was normal weight to start with and "on the thin side" afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadley Shanika View Post
    how can lose 2 pounds a week for four weeks? how many calories should i eat a day and how long should i work out?
    This is not a forum for weight loss. Some of us here suffer from eating disorders and these kinds of posts are very triggering. Please use a forum specifically for dieting if you want advice like this.

Karen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information