Thread: Mood Swings..... or not?

Mood Swings..... or not?

Hi everyone, or rather anyone!

I am just wondering about how people are affected by mood swings. I have been diagnosed with depression and have tried a few different anti-depressants. At the mo I am taking Mirtazapine 45mg and have been for well over a year now. Whilest they are excellent for helping me sleep, and they do give me a 'greedy pig' appetite I am not convinced they do much for my mood.

I find marked fluctuations with my mood, I can be very very suicidally low and other times I can be extremely irritable, anxious and a bit high on energy. I have recently not been taking my anti-depressants properly which could explain mood swings, but even before that, I would say that for the last few years I swing from feeling OK for shortlived periods, to despairing hopeless depression, and other times I feel as though I can conquer the world and be something fantastic like .... err..... a Clinical psychologist, or go to college some 300 miles away to train to be a dance therapist (which is totally unrealistic given I have a husband and children, oh and panic and agoraphobia). I feel that I always have an underlying depression, and my mood generally I would describe as on the low side, but the fluctuations sometimes are really extreme.

I digressed sorry, I just want to know how mood swings affect others. I really believe that my medication is not effective enough or is this a normal presentation of depression and just me being neurotic... again!

I dont like the idea that it is gonna be like this forever. The good times are too few and far between.

Thanks in advance.

Freaky

Re: Mood Swings..... or not?

Hiya Freaky

I don't take meds, but I do have mood swings. My moods used to be more extreme, going from anger and despair, to procastination (friggin long word that, I think it means doing bugger all) to feelings of being able to take on the world, almost too cocky like.

I did wonder if I was bi-polar at one time, but looking back I was suffering badly from anxiety.

My moods got more level when I started to exercise more, and I did notice that a lot of anger went (I used to kick off very easy) whe I was in the gym regular.

I only ever had the S word (sorry, even now I don't like to use it, silly I know lol) a few times, but ironically enough I actually think it was down to meds I tried.

Has your GP shed any light on these mood swings? It would be wrong for me to suggest what you are suffering from, but it does sound like a trait of Bi-polar.

I do hate to hear of people feeling S, it's such a bitch of a feeling, probably the worst, most devastating feeling of them all.

You don't mention if you have had any talk therapy? I always seen meds as just treating the symptoms but indepth therapy tackles the root cause.

Hope today is good day for you.

TC

Jace

Hi Jaco and tetley thanks for your replies.

I think like yourselves my mood swings may be attributed to anxiety, I do find that if I am not feeling very depressed I am very anxious. I haven't really discussed mood swings with anyone, I tend to focus on my low moods and anxiety. I do see a psychiatrist but he was not keen to change my meds when I last saw him and he feels I am depressed because of my anxiety. I am not convinced, but I am not really in a position to argue with him. I also see a psychologist mainly to address my panic attacks, and avoidance behaviour. I haven't had the chance to discuss mood swings as such.

I did buy an exercise bike a couple of years ago, which is great for chucking all my clothes on!! I dont do any exercise apart from the occasional charging around the house when my energy is high. I dont think for a minute that I am bipolar, but I have wondered if a mood stabiliser might be a better treatment than anti-depressants which don't seem to work. This is partly why I posted this thread, I wondered how other people are.

As for the S word, sorry for bringing that up. I realise it can be disturbing for others to read.

So Jaco, your mood swings have you been told why they happen? and tetley, are you on meds?

Thanks,

Freaky

lol clothes horse

I have never really seeked help to be honest. I would be quick to temper but controllable, I didn't have red mist and go mental .

Infact it was the "do nothing, not interested in nothing" that was probably the most disturbing moods.

As I said though, exercise kinda keeps my mood stay on an even keel

Jaco

Thread Information