Thread: Home ECG Monitor?

Home ECG Monitor?

Hi

I'm new to this forum and am soooooooooooo glad I stumbled upon it!! I'm 43 and have been suffering frequent ectopic beats for a few months now. Sometimes they can occur up to 20 times per minute for days at a time, and occasionally they go completely crazy, almost continuosly for up to an hour. This started to really freak me out until I came across this forum. I can't tell you how much you have all helped me with your postings! These things aren't actually going to kill me after all! You can feel so alone with such an unusual complaint as this, but now I know it's not so unusual after all. Thank you guys!

Anyway, on to my question. I've been to the cardiologist and had ecgs, echocardios, etc. but my ectopics never seem to perform on queue (something to do with the 8 week delay between initial symptoms and cardiologist visit!). I am tempted to buy a home ecg machine (e.g Omron, Medick, Observer, ReadMyHeart, etc) so I can capture the pesky things when they occur and wondered if anyone else out there has any recommendations?

Once again I thank each and every one of you and will help in any way I can.

Re: Home ECG Monitor?

Hi watty and welcome. Have you ever had a 24hr Holter monitor to take home? sometimes the cardios suggest this, and of course as you say, most times the ectopics dont show up! You could buy your own if you feel the need, but i reckon, because these ectopics are so common (im a sufferer too) that the docs believe you, but they arent that bothered by them....and constantly monitoring yourself as you know, can drive you crazy. Ive got a home blood pressure thingy which i hardly ever use now, but at first i was checking it 4 or 5 times a day...madness!

I know the ectopics are not pleasant (understatement) but now you have us all on nmp who suffer with them too. Ive been getting them (and the various tests) for 33 years, since i was in my 20s, but dont like to tell people this really as it might scare them to think they can go on all this time. I havent had them constantly, there have been breaks sometimes for a few years, but ive had to accept that theyre part of my life, part of how i react to stress etc, and they are the main symptom of adrenaline for me, just as some people get migraines, others get stomach problems etc. for us its these ectopics.

Hope this helps a bit anyway
    Best wishes
    Cathy xxx

Hi Watty, To be honest I wouldn't waste your money. you will be checking yourself constantly & even if you don't have them whilst being tested then they would still be able to see if they is a problem. I have a heart condition (what I was born with) & when I was tested for palpations etc... I had none for for 3 days whilst in hosp but they could still see they was a problem with me. My point is, they can see if you have a problem even if you don't have them at the time of being tested. If they hosp was concerned then they would give you a 24hr reading to be on the safe side. My advice would be, accept it as anxiety. It's not nice but it's the only way to move on. You can PM if you wish if you need to talk. xxxx

watty if i was you id stay clear of getting your own machine ..i bought myself a b.p monitor and i was constanstly taking bp to the point of setting myself around the twist .... ( BAD IDEA )

i get the ectopics heartbeats too ...have you tried to work out what triggers them ?...

SALLY

Thanks Cathy, Janey Baby and Sally!

I've had a 24hr ecg, but the old ticker was behaving perfectly at the time and only showed a few ectopics. They said they would really like to see a trace when it is playing up, not sure why really. That's why I'm considering buying a monitor. They think my heart is physically ok, but perhaps there is still an underlying arrythmia that they can treat.

Not sure what triggers them. I haven't drank coffee, tea or alcohol (ARRRRGGGHHHH!!) for months now. I also take a magnesium supplement, though not sure it actually helps. I don't think I'm anxious about anything, but I guess I am a bit of a nervy, over-sensitive kinda guy.

Thanks again for your advice guys. Appreciate your support.
    Paul

watty .if it bothers you through anxiety/panic why not ask the doctor for something for it (mild beta-blocker ) ....i know its hard but try not to let it get the better of you ...

sally

Do not by a machine...........it will be lethal to someone who obsesses over there heart & will onluy increases your anxiety & symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by tayside lassie View Post
    watty .if it bothers you through anxiety/panic why not ask the doctor for something for it (mild beta-blocker ) ....i know its hard but try not to let it get the better of you ...

sally
    Good advice.
    I am on my second month of trying a Beta-blocker(Atenolol 50mg per day),and have definatley noticed a difference in the frequency of ectopics, palpitation and other symptoms.
    I'm honestly not sure how much is the medication,state of mind or something totally else,but I feel better on the Beta-blocker.
    I would talk to your doctor about trying the minimum dose(25mg per day) and take it from there.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by >>andy<< View Post
    Good advice.
    I am on my second month of trying a Beta-blocker(Atenolol 50mg per day),and have definatley noticed a difference in the frequency of ectopics, palpitation and other symptoms.
    I'm honestly not sure how much is the medication,state of mind or something totally else,but I feel better on the Beta-blocker.
    I would talk to your doctor about trying the minimum dose(25mg per day) and take it from there.
    Good Luck!
    andy ATENOLOL is also used for people with bad anxiety/panic ..great thats its working for you

sally

Hi, yeah don;t buy a machine. i use a heart rate monitor for training and when my panic attacks were bad I put it on and I saw my heart rate climb, so I thought "uh oh" so it rose even more nad I saw it climb and thought "ahhh!" then it went even higher... etc etc I was just sitting there and got my heart rate up to 180+ lol and had to lie down and tell myself I wasn;t gpoing to die, I'm just being an idiot.

Once I got fit and stopped worrying about my heart, I was much better.

I haven't had a panic attack for 2 or 3 months now.

I quit drinking and caffeine for 6 months though and I`m still off those.

Get fit, stop ale and coffee/tea and give it time, you`ll be OK, machines make you panic more.

Thread Information