Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declined diazepam

Declined diazepam

Hello friends! Hope everyone is well. Ill try to keep this one brief. Ive been doing ok for the past few years (odd problem here and there but nothing major). Since starting uni, everything has just got worse so I decided to take a trip back to the docs! Asked to see a physciatrist (spelling mistake). I was also offered diazepam but I got scared so I said no thanks.
    My question is.... does/has anyone taken/took it? Some days I think I could do with something to knock me out for a bit but Im worried I will become dependant on them.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
    Many thanks
    Steveo
    xx

Re: Declined diazepam

Have you tried any over-the-counter meds?
    like Kalms?

The opinions stated above are the personal opinions of the writer, and not intended to offend or denigrate any opinions held by anyone else.

I think it's kinda funny, I think it's kinda sad,
    The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

Hiya

I am prescribed diazepam at the lowest dose 2mg and have been for quite some time, but it definetly doesn't knock me out. I only use them as and when the panic becomes unbearable and im allowed to take up to 6mg at a time if it is really awful but all they do is take the edge off things and make my brain not think so much, sort of gently relax me. I was worried about becoming dependant on them but have used them for about a year now - in bad weeks where the panic is very bad i can use them a few times a week - then other times i maybe only need them once every 7-10 days so i have completely avoided becoming dependant on them.

Now i have started hypnotherapy and started making more progress in the last 2 weeks than i have in the last 2 years and havent used diazepam once in the last couple of weeks. GP's are becoming less likely to just hand diazepam out these days and mine only did when he could see i was becoming virtually housebound because i was panicking about absolutely everything and mine certainly wont put them on any kind of repeat prescription - you only use them as and when you REALLY need them.

Hope that helps,
    Emma x

Perhaps accept the prescription,but only take them when you really need to?...not on a regular basis. Generally doctors nowadays only prescribe them for a very limited period or for sporadic usage (when panic attacks come on etc.) I don't take them personally...but I would if given the option,my doctor is against using those types of medications so wouldnt suggest it...and I can't very well ask outright for them obviously :(

Do a bit of research but most importantly only do what you feel comfortable with!

Good luck x

I've taken diazepam for 15yrs now on off.. first 10 like 10mg or so, last 5yrs 2mg , i also tried Klonopin recently Clonezepam wow good stuff.... But i worry re dependance even at 0.5mg.. the benzo's offer quick relief so can see how easy it , and CBT is longer way round but longer lasting. No harm though taking small amount to get you back on you feet.

Hi Stevo

I have only taken 1 of my diazipam tablets in three months,.5mg. It made me calm and very sleepy for 2 days therefore gives a break from the worst of the symptoms. I might take one when I have to go to the dentist next but as they are addictive and are not a long term cure, I would advise only using them occasionally.

Veronica

Hi Stevo, I have been perscribed diazepam for many years now, I think the key is to only take them when you really need to, they are very useful for panic and anxiety but have to be used in moderation. When I am having a extemely bad time I may take them for a couple of days to see me through but other times I may go weeks without using them. They are not a quick fix though, if you were to take them regulary you would soon find the dose the dr perscribed would not be enough so to benefit from these drugs you have to be responsible. They take the edge of anxiety but depending on your dose they will not make you too sleepy and unable to function. Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best. xx

was given them by my gp 5mg 3 times a day, they really did help but did make me sleepy so i now take one in the morning at that seems to be enough i may take one at nite time if i carnt sleep, i to was worried about them but to be honest they did and still work for me mostly take one about 20 mins before i go out so im calm and relaxed then may have a nap if i can in the afternoon good luck xx

hi im bev. my doctor has perscribed me diazapam does help a little but does make u very sleepy.

I have Lorazepam which is very similar to diazepam, it can be highly addictive thats why doctors do not normally give out large quantities or repeat prescriptions without seeing you.. I only take half a tablet when i am really having a bad anxiety/panic attack , it does calm me down,relaxes the mind and makes me feel a little drowsy.. They do help and i find it a relief to know that i have them for when i am having a particulalry bad episode, i have never become addicted to them......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information