Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me, Cannabis and Propranolol

Me, Cannabis and Propranolol

Hey peeps,

Ive never really done anything like this before as i find it very difficult opening up to people , so ill go straight to it ...

Im 20 yrs old and ive suffered from anxiety since as far back as i can remember and as a result ive been depressed throughout my life. I recently had my first major panic attack which prompted a visit to my doctor.
    He put me on propranolol and i am yet to acutally take the drug ...

i smoke cannabis on a regular basis and have done for the last 4 years since i finished school. I wasnt particually popular in school and i kept to myself most of the time. When i started smoking it my social life florished as i was meeting all kinds of cannabis smokers. Cannabis has been deeply entwined into my social life since then and i am finding it hard to seperate the two.

Although i have grown a kind of dependence to it, i do still enjoy smoking it as helps me to relax in most occasions...

Anyway im curious to know if it will effect my medication if i continue to smoke it. ive heard that propranolol slows your heartbeat down so i was also wondering if smoking weed would still have the effect?

Thanks for your time and any feed back would be greatly appriecated.

Matt

Re: Me, Cannabis and Propranolol

Hi Matt - glad you've felt able to post, it's good to write it down and get it out if nothing else.

I would think that mixing any drugs without medical advice is a bad idea. You could ask your doctor - he/she will be able to advise you on what the effect might be (and will almost certainly say that it is a bad idea). The THC in cannabis increases your heart rate in a similar way to stress, so if you're stressed already then it will increase it even more. That's one of the reasons that cannabis and anxiety don't really mix, that and the effects on the brain. Sorry if I sound preachy... I have dabbled in drugs to a very small degree in the past. I found that that made my anxiety worse, if not at the time then in a the days following.

Beta-blockers like Propranolol slow your heart rate down. THC speeds it up. I've no idea what the combination of the two might do, but there's probably not much point in taking a beta-blocker, of which the primary purpose is to slow your heart down, if you then take THC which speeds it up.

Try a search on the site on cannabis and you might find more advice. Good luck xx.

Humm... Weed and anxiety are no good partners. Quit smoking while you still can. I'd hate to say I told you so...

CAnnabis is probably the biggest contributor to your anxiety. OOO you wanna get off that stuff.

Pooh x
    I've crossed lines of words and wire, and both have cut me deep. I've been frozen out and I've been on fire, and the tears are mine to weep. But I can cry until I laugh, or laugh until I cry. So cut the deck right in half, I'll play from either side.

http://poohsworld-pooh.blogspot.com/

Hiya Matt

I have a friend who like yourself has smoked cannabis for around the last 4 years of his life. He started it as his mates were doing it & also i think it was a release as he had a few family problems in his youg teens. 4/5 years on he is now addicted to it & takes much harder stuff when he parties at wknds..

Unfortunatly i fell for this guy (my mates brother) & i dont mean that all cannabis smokers are a waste of space.
    I knew that i would always come second best to the cannabis as he was into going round to his mates and getting stoned every night & i mean everynight. He admits he is addicted & recently went traveling around Oz for a year in an attempt to get off it but failed....He knows he needs to stop smoking it as it makes him depressed & feel like s**te. His last long term girlfriend left him because of it & well he knows that i hated it yet he still chooses that despite knowing what its doing to him.

You will proabably find that your anxiety & depression is down to the cannabis hun..much liek myseld when i get dunk at wknds- which is alot i get mega depressed when i am coming down from it, but luckily i am aware of it & have learnt to control it. I would love to say get off the stuff like others have but i for one know its not that easy. Have you tried getting some help? Or maybe cutting down? Propanolol as you know is a beta blocker so yeah slows ya heart down. I cant think of a major side effect cannabis would have on it as like you said that just helps you relax more (at the time) so will only aid you & the effects of the drug. Like youy said its the after affects & teh anxiety..so your really going round in circles with your anxiety. It gets better then worse. Only you can do soemthng about it & you know deep down what you need to do in order to get better.

Matt you are still very young & would hate to think you are going to chuck your life away like many other cannabis smokers have...you have so much ahead of you!!!

Take care hun xxxx

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

I'm 20, and thanks to a recent health scare I'm off the fags (which i was smoking for 4 years) and the weed (which i was smoking for even longer).

What I noticed is that I had no anxiety whatsoever regarding my health until I had a panic about a mole - decided to quit smoking (and quit weed just to make the no tobacco rule easier - although i dont want it to be forever - im not gonna lie i love the stuff). I quit both and have since had a million and one anxiety problems - so i wouldnt like to say it necessarily makes any anxiety worse, im glad im working on lowering my risk of cancer - but i really would like a joint, i dont wish to encourage it but ive had some of the best times of my life on the stuff - and im partially blaing this inability to relax on quitting - hopefully just a short-term side effect.

Good luck with everything

weed started my anxiety......it only took one drag, the past year has been hell

Quote Originally Posted by matsui123 View Post
    Hey peeps,

Ive never really done anything like this before as i find it very difficult opening up to people , so ill go straight to it ...

Im 20 yrs old and ive suffered from anxiety since as far back as i can remember and as a result ive been depressed throughout my life. I recently had my first major panic attack which prompted a visit to my doctor.
    He put me on propranolol and i am yet to acutally take the drug ...

i smoke cannabis on a regular basis and have done for the last 4 years since i finished school. I wasnt particually popular in school and i kept to myself most of the time. When i started smoking it my social life florished as i was meeting all kinds of cannabis smokers. Cannabis has been deeply entwined into my social life since then and i am finding it hard to seperate the two.

Although i have grown a kind of dependence to it, i do still enjoy smoking it as helps me to relax in most occasions...

Anyway im curious to know if it will effect my medication if i continue to smoke it. ive heard that propranolol slows your heartbeat down so i was also wondering if smoking weed would still have the effect?

Thanks for your time and any feed back would be greatly appriecated.

Matt
    Take it from me, cannabis will only make things worse in the long term

hello, I'm only 16 and am on propranolol for anxiety. I have recently tried smoking cannabis on the weekends with my friends and no side effects have taken place. About a year ago i tried it aswell and i had the worst time of my life with anxiety because the way i get anxiety is called derealization and it feels like i have been drinking alcohol and makes me feel detached from my surroundings. My doctor told me that it could be hormonal and it will more than likely go by the time i reach 18. Well enough about me, am sure you will be fine an don't leet anxiety get the better of you, if you like doing it dont let anxiety an medication put you down... Goood Luckk

Mate, Im 41 And Have Smoked Cannabis And Seperately Taken Propranalol,......... Stop The Smoke! And When The Prop Kicks In (it Takes A Bit To Get Comfy On It, At First You Feel A Bit Confused And Slow, But Then It Keeps You So Chilled, Stuff That Normally Stresses You You Just Seem To Cope With Mate, Its Marvellous Without The Smoke, Each Morning You Wake Up And Just Think 'yes!'
    I Know Its Hard To Listen And Act On Good Advice But You Asked A Question And My Answer Is 100% Stop The Smoke, Or You'll Be Looking Back Saying 'where Has My Life Gone?' I Know It Seems Like Everyones Smoking, But They're Not! Some Of The Nicest People Dont Smoke That Stuff!! Mate........ I Know!!
    Good Luck, Propranalol's Good If You Use It For The Right Reason Just Take What Your Doc Says No More!! It Will Chill You Right Out It Just Takes A Little Time!!

Gary ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information