Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic during conversations?

Panic during conversations?

Hi, I'm new here and wondered if anybody here could relate to this. I have found that being in a conversation, usually with someone I don't know very well (happened today with the plumber, for example) starts to trigger panic. I'm listening intently, and then I suddenly start to tune out because I'm getting slightly breathless and very nervous. I end up watching their mouth moving, not really hearing what they're saying, and wondering how to get to my Xanax surreptitiously.

Is this just me? Thanks. [8)]

Hi Lilith
    Welcome on board!!!
    No its not just you. This is one of my main problems,it happens to me with people i dont know well or people i know that I feel dont understand whats going on with me. I get scared that im gonna panic and they will think im nuts and as soon as i think this, lo and behold the panic starts.
    love Sarah
    xx

Hi everyone!

I start to get nervous the same way. It always seems to work out that when I start getting scared then that's when the people have the most to say. At that point it makes it soooooo much worse. There seems to be no escape. Terrible feeling.

the thing to remember is they probably have no idea that you are panicking.

I had one of my worse panic attacks in a car with one of my bosses at work. I kept thinking OMG I am going to have to jump out in a minute and he'll think I'm crazy! In the end though the reality was I just panicked all the way home and he thought nothing was out of the ordinary!

Emily

Hello Magster and Lilith,

Welcome to our little humble abode!!!! I always wanted to say that LOL........... No really welcome. All of the symptoms you describe are feelings every one of us has had atleast once in our life, So to answer the question if it is just you "NO" it is not. You are among others of your kind now. Keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

Cheers,

Diana xxx

Thanks so much for the reassurance! Just a funny note - I mentioned this to my husband on the phone this afternoon, and he said (he knows how this plumber can talk your ear off) "Well, it's not much different than being 'trapped' in an amusement park ride, and you can't do that either." I had to laugh, because he's right. It's the same feeling of being trapped. Poor plumber.

I had a panic attack while doing a presentation to over 100 people. Nobody noticed. (The panic attack, that is.)I've also had them at meetings while presenting to half a dozen folk, where you'd think they'd notice that sweaty breathlessness. In my experience though, it's only you that's going through it. I think that trying to focus on what you're saying helps. Also, if in doubt, ask them a question - giving you time to adjust your mental trousers.

Jim

Hi Lilith,

Chatty checkout girls used to do it for me. Then I learnt to chat first ..Keep the control !

Meg

I can understand people not noticing anxiety, or the beginnings of panic, but how can you possibly have a panic attack that nobody notices? When I have a panic attack I have to hold on because the room tips, and my airway seems to close up so that my breathing becomes a very loud wheezing sound. People can't see my hands going numb and the feeling that there are very tight bands around my forearms, but still I don't think I could hide this anymore than I could hide a heart attack.

Lilith
    I'd admit that when I was initially hit with panic attacks, people did sometimes look at me quizically and ask "Are you feeling okay?", which never failed to make me feel worse! Over time, I probably managed to cover up the external signs.

Jim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information