Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Panic during conversations?

Yes, you're right...people offering help always makes it worse! If it's a stranger I'll just say "no, I'm fine" and try to get away someplace private. If it's a friend or loved one I try to tell them as gently as possible that I know they're trying to be helpful but I really need to left alone. I just need to get away from everybody and hang on till it's over. I can't imagine being able to cover it up, though.

I wonder why it is that when the one`s we love try to be comforting at that time, we do not want it???? I just wanna run like hell to wherever my safe place is. My loved ones try to talk me down from this attack, like I`m a cat stuck in a tree. I usually try screaming, but whilst out of air due to my attack I just throw my hand up and tell them "PLEASE JUST LEAVE ME ALONE"!!!! I know it makes them feel bad, but honestly when I`m in a full blown attack all I can think of is myself, and how I`m going to make it through this attack. My dog even tries to comfort me, like he knows what I am going through!!!! LOL...

Take care all,

Diana xxx

I't not surprising that we get panicky sometimes in conversation. The real problem lies in trying to hide it from others. If you learn to say 'Sorry, I feel really anxious just now' almost everyone will understand. Having decided that a) It dosen't matter if people think I am mad and b) They've probably felt the same at some point really helps.
    Years ago, whilst at college I had to tell fellow students I could not get in a car to travel to a lecture. Of the four people present one said they could go but not get into a lift, one could go but only if he could sit by the window, one go go as long as she drove and was not a passenger and the other thought we were crazy and felt left out! The relief and support we all felt by being honest got us all through 4 years of education. Now if I tell people I feel anxious in 'normal situations' and they are scathing I dump them.

i too get like this when taliking to people and feel i cannot escape. how do others cope with this. i thought it was just me!
    Nina x

nina

Hi, Count me in on this one. But as far as people noticing it. I must cover it well. I was talking to a friend of mine I ran into in a grocery store. I was already trying to hurry and get out of there before I ran into her. She stood there talking to me for a good 10 minutes. I was in the throws of a major panic attack. A little while later she called me. During our conversation I told her how I was feeling during the previous accidental meeting. She said she had no idea that I seem normal and why didn't I tell her at the time. I was sure she could tell I was acting odd but she didn't know. Linda

Hi all

Proof happened to me yesterday that sometimes other people dont notice you panicking.
    I was picking up my niece from school, waiting in the car and an old friend i used to work with knocked on my window. As soon as i started talking to her i started panicking. Big full on 'im going to be sick and faint panic'. she asked me how i was doing (she knows through the grapevine whats up with me) and i said i was sick of feeling like it for no reason and said 'as a matter of fact im having a panic now'
    She looked at me a bit weird and then said 'are you?'
    So you see, even tho I was dying inside she never even noticed!!!

love Sarah
    xx

oh by the way, i was picking up my niece because my little sis was having a baby. She had a little boy so im an auntie again!!!!
    Just got to get my but in gear and have one of my own...lol

Sarah

I'm sure you're right. My friend Jan can always tell when I'm having one cos apparently my eyes go.

I don't know where, but they do. Nobody else has ever noticed though!

Have fun with the little one

Charlie

I've got a great cartoon for this. I'll send it to Nic and see if she can turn on the enable picture thing for a few minutes and stick it on.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

No-one notices when I panic. I just feel really scared and shaky but I always seem under control. That is what my psychiatrist said my main issue is - that I have a fear of looking or being out of control.

I always remember an incident where a girl on a train (which stopped in the tunnel) a few years ago (when I didnt have panic) started running up and down and shouting that she wanted to get out. At the time I thought she was mad and I think that when I panic on trains I think that the same will happen to me and people will think the same.

I said to my psychiatrist but why wont I run up and down screaming when she did? He looked at me in a patronising kind of way and said 'because it's not your personality'. And he is right, I had never before thought about the fact that that girl maybe didnt mind shouting out and that she was a loud 'dramatic' person having a panic attack when I am a fairly quiet 'reserved' person having a panic attack.

BTW I got stuck in a tunnel for 10m this morning with a dreadful hangover and had major panic :(

Emily

Sarah

It was good that you could tell the friend that you were panicking - did she help atall?

Congrats on the new baby - bet you are really excited!

Meg - sure send it on to me

Nicola

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information