Thread: Heart Worries and Sleep Apnea...at 27?

Heart Worries and Sleep Apnea...at 27?

This past Thursday I had pain around my heart area. I've felt this before and although uncomfortable, it would pass within a half hour or so. It's hard to describe. It's like a wave of aggravating pain that hits the area around the left side of my chest. This also causes an uncomfortable feeling/pain in my jaw area. This time I was at work and it was so bad that I had my co worker drive me to emergency.

They said my blood pressure was at 140 (a tad high), ran an EKG, chest x rays, and took some blood tests. The doctor was pretty confident it wasn't a heart attack.

I know my diet is horrible and I don't exercise much. Right now I'm at 6'1" and about 200lbs. If nothing else, it has been a kick in the pants to start taking better care of myself.

Over the weekend I felt very fatigued, and I keep thinking that I'm going to get that chest pain at any moment. Friday night I woke up from my sleep and couldn't breathe. This has happened now and then, but it's so scary to wake up knowing you haven't been breathing for a few seconds and gasping for air.

Things just don't feel right and last night I kissed my 3 year old daugther good night and almost had tears in my eyes. I'm only 27, and the thought of something happening to me and my daugther growin up without a Dad breaks me up.

My EKG was fine, my chest x rays were perfect, and now I just await my blood results.

Anyways, who has dealt with this aggravating heart pain and/or sleep apnea? How much do you think anxiety plays a role in in? I'm really down, but I always come here when facing adversity because we all share so many of the same experiences.

Thanks for listening.

Re: Heart Worries and Sleep Apnea...at 27?

Hi your not alone. My names Bev ive been getting pain in my chest for over 2 months now. All the tests i have had have come bk normal yet i still worry. I have 2 boys and worry bout them growing up without there mum.

Quote Originally Posted by anx mum View Post
    I have 2 boys and worry bout them growing up without there mum.
    God I second that

Im sorry to hear of all your concerns, and hope I can reassure you that you have a classic case of anxiety, and nothing more! What you are experiencing is bewildering I know, and extremely frightening, but I can say with some confidence that what you are experiencing is unwanted fear and adrenaline, which is leading to these horrendous symptoms.
    Firstly, true heart disease is not felt in the heart area, what you most likely have is pain and tightness brought on by fatigued and sensitised muscles. It may feel like you are going to have a heart attack but I can assure you, you are not. Your body is releasing too much unwanted adrenaline, therefore it is on high alert all the time, causing the spasms and fatigue you are experiencing.
    Secondly, even in our sleep, a nervously tired subconcious brain sends out signals telling us that all is not well with our nerves, this can manifest itself in different ways. Some people get no sleep at all, others wake up having nightmares, the mind is always working, and sometimes can play tricks on us.
    The body will always get the air it requires to survive. Try holding your breath for as long as you can, and I can assure you the body will intervene when required,whether you like it or not, to bring the oxygen levels back to normal.
    The results of your tests were teriffic, your body is in fine shape, so please try not to worry too much, and understand that your nerves have you 'duped' at the moment, but with true acceptance and letting time pass, I'm sure you will find great relief from your symptoms.
    I hope this helps a wee bit, please don't hesitate to pm me if you ever need a chat.
    House.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Your response eased my mind so much. There is a lot of truth in what you wrote and I just need to relax and realize that this will pass, as with many of the anxiety problems we all face.

Thank you!

What a great post, House. I get ectopics regularly and, although I can usually rationalise them, my mind nags away at me about them. Your post was very imformative and helpful, thank you .

Do you guys ever focus so much on your heart that you actually feel it hurt? Since this happened to me last week I feel every little pain/twinge in my heart.

Thread Information