Thread: Heart skips a beat

Heart skips a beat

Hi guys!

I know I have spoken about this before but this is really doing my head in now! I went to see the dr about me having these skipped beats, he listened to my heart and said it sounded fine and that these were either two things eptopics or something else that I honestly cant remember what he said. He sent me to go have a couple of blood tests as standard but I am struggling to believe what he says, I mean that it sounds fine and healthy.

Could everybody give me their symptoms of their missed heart beats so I could get a bit of reassurance. Should I believe what my dr said?

Thanks
    Ben

Re: Heart skips a beat

It's where you heart almost feels like it falls, a flutter. From what I've read it's another symptom of our anxiety and it won't hurt us.

I have it too, only in the last few days though. I too have been checked and all seems well.

Hiya Benji,
    I have skipped beats, my doctor came last week, and said the same as yours, he listened and said things were fine.
    Then he suggested i had a ecg just for my reassurance, so i had that this morning, and am sat waiting for results.
    Have you had an ecg ? maybe that would put your mind at rest. If not, i wouldnt worry to much and take the word of a doc, they no there stuff, and worrying really does bring them on.
    Hope you get some good advice and feel better soon

Take care

Hi Ben. I always want to tell people its ok to have these skipped beats or flutters because ive had them for a long time on and off (im in an off period at the mo) It sounds awful to say ive had them for many years, but in a way its proof that they do no harm.

I think sometimes we have to accept that if we are prone to anxiety, the adrenaline affects us in different ways. For some its felt more in the stomach, others as migraines, and us the heart palps. Alot of people get all 3 together! Being reassured that they are harmless can help the anx about them to ease off but it might take a bit of time for you to think positively about them. I can go for years between bouts of them, then they can last for a few weeks, this last lot for some months, but thats because of moving and starting a new life in germany and its been quite a stressful year.

But over the years ive had 4 pregnancies and given birth with these ectopics going on, and i lived. You have a strong heart believe it, you'll be fine really.

Take care
    Cathy

Hey Sarah,

I haven't had an ecg yet but want one as you said to reassure myself. I keep saying to myself if it was a heart disease I would be out of breath a lot and it would be all the time. For example I was fine last night didn't feel one at all then gets to ten this morning and bang! Here they are again. What I am worried about is that everyone says it feels like an extra beat but mine doesn't. Mine feels like it stops then a beat later starts up again. Is this normal???

Hi again Ben, sorry you are so worried, but in my last reply i did say skipped or missed beats (they are also called extra-systoles or ectopics or just palpitations) and what you are describing is exactly what they are like. But although it feels as if your heart misses a beat it is in fact an extra beat with a pause after it, and when the next beat catches up it kind of thumps stronger. A flutter is when you feel as if you have a butterfly where your heart should be just for a few seconds, then the beats go back to normal.

There is a section on it on the forum.If you go to the left side menu and scroll to symptoms you should see something there. There are also loads of links for this but im hopless at these so hopefully someone might come along after me and help with this for you.

Take care
    Cathy xxx

Its nothing serious I have it too its just anxiety but physically wise probably a cramp or muscle spasm. I do know how scary this is.

you will be fine

Thread Information