Thread: I give up!!

I give up!!

I went to see my GP yesterday and he has refused to put me back on medication for my depression I know I am bad with it again as I am getting paranoid with people not trusting anyone and thinking and actually believing that my new workmates hate me!!.
    I am worried with this being a new job that they will sack me because of this!!.
    Another question I have been told to relax how or what can help me relax as I don't know how to!!!.It may sound silly but I don't!!.
    Fed up!!!..

Re: I give up!!

Hi itsonlyme,

Sorry you are feeling so bad at the moment. Has your GP asked to see you again to review you in a couple of weeks? If not, and you are still not feeling well I would encourage you to make another appointment. I think the doc's sometimes think it may be a passing phase. I dont know, who am I to say that? Dr Freakedout!!

As for relaxing, things that take your mind off your thoughts. For me music can help, the louder the better, or sleep. Now I know you can't do either of those at work, but I am sure someone else will be able to give you some good tips. I am sure you workmates have no reason to hate you, it seems that you are very sensitive at the mo, and it is easy to perceive things in a paranoid/self conscious way when you are so anxious and sensitive.

Take care, sorry if my reply sucks. Am not much good at giving advice but I do understand how you may be feeling from experience.

Freaky

Hey Freaky
    Your reply was great thank you...he said he didn't want to see me back!!..I am just getting so tired of feeling like this all the time I want it to go away!!.
    Me x

Hi
    I think you should ask to see a different Doctor as that attitute is completely wrong.
    I've just been back to mine for the 2nd time this week and feel lucky that they are so understanding.
    Hope you feel better. x

Well he can't stop you from going back.. he doesnt sound too sympathetic. If you need to then make another appointment or maybe if there is another doctor at the practice someone else may be a bit more understanding.

No wonder you are angry and as your title says, you give up.... what the hell are people supposed to do? Its a poor do.

Freaky

I had that response from my doctor a few years ago. He refused to put me back on medication again. Explain what you've been through. If they know you've suffered before they wont try and 'put you off'. They know you'd rather be without meds if you can manage it. I asked to see another one who is fab. Tries to understand and does what he can medication wise. Ask to see someone else. It's worth it!

Hi 'itsonlyme' and everyone else who posted here about unsympathetic, uncaring doctors, SO identify with that. I wish I could offer some advice re: the relaxation, but I find it virtually impossible as well. There are deep muscle relaxation CDs available - someone explaining how to tense up and relax each muscle in the body in turn and they help a lot of people. I know a wonderful organisation called 'No Panic' does one of their own, you can Google their website - 'No Panic'. They also have a 24 'crisis message' for people suffering panic attacks at any time. I think the number in the UK is 0808 808 0545 and it's FREE to call that number.

I find it difficult to believe that the medical profession is still so ignorant about what hell it is living with anxiety and depression. There have been a couple of times recently when I've genuinely thought they hoped I would just go away and top myself and believe me I've been close to it - as recently as last weekend. I wrote this poem a while back after being badly let down by the counsellor at my doc's surgery and posted it elsewhere on here over the weekend. (I apoligse for the language.)

ODE TO THE MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
    OR 'CARE IN THE COMMUNITY'

If they won’t bloody jump,
    Then give them a push,
    Just stand aside
    Watch the lemmings rush.
    Get them to trust you,
    Like lambs to the slaughter,
    And when they do
    Hold them down in the water.
    They’re not like you,
    They’re not like me,
    If we play our cards right
    We can soon be free
    Of their endless demands
    On the public purse,
    They’re a pain in the arse,
    A bloody curse.
    These are the dregs
    Of the human race,
    All they are
    Is a waste of space.
    So reel them in,
    Then let them down,
    And just stand back
    Watch them drown.
    They’re superfluous
    To society,
    But we’ll call it care
    In the community.
    Last edited by BNCfan; 05-11-08 at 02:17.

BNC - terrific poem

Itsonlyme: New doctor - see another in the practise or change surgery - patients must not be treated like this. Phone NHS Direct and tell them how you have been treated. If you are truly depressed and need medication I cannot understand any doctor not letting you have it - unless you have abused it in some way in the past.

Relaxation cd's - look itup on the net loads and loads on offer. If you do a search you could probably download something free.

Do not put up with that doctor.

Hi there
    Did you doc offer you any alternatives to medication for your depression, such as CBT or counselling? If he hasnt he is out of order as you are entitled to help and support. Go back to him and ask to be referred for therapy, if he wont do this then you should find a GP who will. Lots of Governement funding is being made available at the moment to make sure more people have access to therapies they need, you shouldnt have to fight for it.
    Also try and get in touch with your local PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service), they can help. If all else fails make a formal complaint, the Commission for Health Improvement require Health Authorities to respond to you quickly. Above all dont take it out on yourself if your GP is inadequate, that his problem, not yours.

Good luck.

Thread Information