Thread: Anxiety attacked me from behind! Grrrrrrrr!!

Anxiety attacked me from behind! Grrrrrrrr!!

Well i had the best nights sleep in ages, i got up with my little boy @ 7.30am and set to work on the party bags for his second birthday party tomorrow. I'v a list of jobs as long as my arm, not only is it Ethans party tomorrow but we are having our house photographed in the morning for the sales brochure (we are selling up!). I felt great when i got up, and felt that I was making progress with my list of 'to-do's'. Then, all of all sudden, without any prior warning, my anxiety crept up on me and attacked me from behind (the coward). Why does she do that?
    I went from feeling 'Great' to not-so-great in 0.1 seconds. I feel tired, uptight, irritable, dizzy, breathless and that familiar loop the loop feeling in my stomach is on full speed.
    Why does this happen when we least expect it and for no apparant reason?
    I know i'v got a lot on but i was coping pretty well, thankyou very much. Grrrrrrrr!

Re: Anxiety attacked me from behind! Grrrrrrrr!!

Hi pinkpiglet, anxiety is a bully, that's why it creeps up from behind. You were coping so well you made your anxiety demon feel impotent, so it gave you an extra strong hit, just like any bully when it's feeling beaten. You're doing great, don't let the ba**ard beat you. Tell it where to go. I'm sure Ethan's birthday will be great. Good luck.

Thanks guys! i won't let it win!!
    I am determined to stand up to this dark force & beat it!
    (shame i don't have a light sabre to hand)

I think what BNC fan is a good way to view anxiety - it is indeed a bully and to tell yourself that you just will not let it win is right. Also that it doesn't like it because you are doing better is a good way to think. This way you will feel more determined to prove the little tormenter wrong.

Now if I told my therapist what you said (and pretended it was me) - told her I was getting on great etc etc then bam! she would say that a thought would have kicked in. I would agree with this as well because I have learned so much about how the thoughts come and we barely notice them - but what huge impact they can have.

You can be happily getting on with stuff and feeling good about yourself and suddenly a little thought comes along and you can go all pear shaped. I hate thoughts!!!!!

Stand up to the bully for sure!

Thread Information