Thread: Sure this isn't a new one... vCJD.

Sure this isn't a new one... vCJD.

I KNOW its really rare, I KNOW its usually older people (and males, if I correctly recall) and more common routes of transmission are through bad blood transfusions/unclean surgical procedures yadda yadda but even though I have no symptoms and had a clear MRI last year I am WORRIED. I don't want to die of that. Well duh, who does? But I'm so mad at my parents (irrationally) for feeding me meat before I insisted on NOT eating it....

how many more years before I'm "in the clear?"

Sorry to be a bit of an irrational..yeh.
    Last edited by AntiLove_SuperStar; 27-04-21 at 17:32.

Re: Sure this isn't a new one... vCJD.

I've worried about vCJD and I didn't even live in Britain before animal products in animal feed were banned . It would, I imagine, be a very distressing disease, not least for the friends and family of the afflicted.

All I can say, really, is that it is very, very, very unlikely that you would have contracted vCJD. Even less likely than other unlikely things, like MS or ALS, and those too are extremely unlikely. Take an extraordinarily unlikely thing and multiply it by 10 - that's how unlikely it is.

I know that in some ways, that doesn't help. People with health anxiety (like us) see the most microscopic, minuscule, or even merely theoretical risk and say "Yeah, but you can't say absolutely, 100% not, never, impossible. So it could still happen." I know I do this, for sure.

Unhappily, no one can ever give a 100% guarantee about anything. It can't be guaranteed, for example, that a little bit of the splinter I got in my toe last week won't end up in my blood stream, travel to my brain and kill me. It's really, really unlikely - but not absolutely, 100% impossible.

Thread Information