Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsessive fear of losing loved ones

Re: Obsessive fear of losing loved ones

i'm so desperately afraid of losing my parents i can barely think about it. i'm 29 years old and i've had this fear ever since i can remember. i believe that without my mum and dad i'll be left completely and utterly alone in the world. and almost completely decided that i'll have to kill myself when they die. i've had years of therapy, medication and constant clinical depression.

i don't know how to get over this. i can't write any more because i can't see the screen for crying. i wish i knew other people who understood.

Ruminations concerning an overt fear of losing loved ones, particularly parental figures, is actually more common than one might think. In most cases, the fear arises from what could commonly be termed as unfinished business. It is a barrier between what a person feels compelled about and the limitations imposed in being able to identify and successfully resolve it. This seldom occurs at a young age, most often manifesting in middle age and at a point where some recognition that life is finite becomes part of the equation.

The most common underlying force which drives the emotional strain of anticipated loss is guilt. The life of loved ones becomes reviewed often and with it, mounting influences that speak of burden, suffering, frailty, disadvantage and other characterizations which are amplified by one's role, or contrasting absence of influence, that may seem contributory.

An overt dependence, whether real or perceived, is often a suggestion that some element of the person's life is fulfilled through the latent retention of the earlier parent-child relationship to various stages. It is this uncharacteristic bond which forms the basis for fear of loss as both parent and child age into an era where loss by death becomes more realistic. This bond is also strengthened by a transition of the relationship between parent and child through aging that alters their roles in many instances, wherein care becomes a mutual context and in some cases, entirely reversed. So just as a mother of early years might experience overt fear of the loss of the child, so too might the child in later years as an adult equally fear the loss of the parent.

Much of this transition, however, depends largely upon the basis for emotional development. The polar ends of this transition would be characterized on one hand by the child who sacrifices much of their time to caretake for their parents, contrasted by a child or children who place their parents into a retirement or nursing home to avoid the practical and emotional strain of dealing with advancing age and ultimately death of the parents.

From a more internal standpoint, where the fear of loss becomes obsessive, it speaks to the need to examine one's emotional architecture to determine what the loss actually would translate to, beyond the normal patterns of grief that any child or spouse would suffer. In other words, it would help produce insight by individually examining all of the points which collectively raise the level of fear to obsessive proportions. In most instances, the fear is based upon irrational perceptions which must be resolved and extracted from the remainder of concerns for obvious reasons.

Most introspection of this type will reveal that the individual actually more fears the impact it will have upon their own life rather than elements associated with the death of the parent or spouse themselves. This revelation is often avoided since it constitutes a repulsion and egocentric viewpoint, but nevertheless remains a reality and normal human emotive characteristic.

The path to reduction in disproportionate fear of this nature is often found in confronting the parent or spouse in a manner that will permit insight into how the other person might be contemplating the issue. This will many times bring the irrational and emotionally charged points to the surface to be dealt with together rather than from a point of isolation. The brain is unique in that it will rekindle elements of conflict to whatever extent is necessary to try and induce resolution. Hence, obssessive thought patterns seem relentless and immutable to being extinguished.

Speaking directly and intimately about your concerns to the very person where the focus is centered will surprisingly produce various stages of relief and more importantly, insight into the circumstances that subsequently possess mutual input and emotional balance.

The final point I wish to offer here is that loss and grief will forever be a part of life, but it is the active pursuit of balancing these undesirable experiences with those associated with the undeniable joy and love which existed for a far greater period of time. The acceptance of eventual loss can be balanced by the fact that these lives shared can never truly be lost. They are eternal.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)
    Last edited by RLR; 19-05-10 at 01:52.

Thank you for such a thought-provoking piece, RLR.

You seem to be saying that it's a common human response, as people realise the fragility or mortality of their loved ones, and that this is due to the lack of closure in the relationship. The fears are of the impact of their decline/death on oneself, and driven by a feeling of guilt (e.g. at not being able to spend much time looking after them). These feelings are alleviated by talking to the loved one about death, and airing feelings, which can lead to a better acceptance of the situation.

People who feel the fears most acutely may be those who are still clinging in one sense to a child-parent dependency with the loved one, and since the reasons for this are irrational, to recognise what is going on and cast aside the irrational parts of the fears (which might be achievable through honest dialogue wth the loved one), which are usually obsessional fears of the awful influence it might have on oneself.

Is this a fair summary or am I missing important points?

There's only one sentence I haven't yet understood at all, when you say at the start: "It is a barrier between what a person feels compelled about and the limitations imposed in being able to identify and successfully resolve it."

Certainly it has a lot of resonance to me: my main fear is the loss of my mother's advice, emotional and rational support (as well as a fear of seeing in her my own future), as one of the few people I know who thinks like me about the world. But I have already come to realise through counselling that I haven't fully separated from my mother, from the child-parent dependency, and thus I am afraid to lose the nurturing role of hers, that whatever happens she will rescue me and make things alright, that when I am feeling guilty she will absolve me, and that I cannot be a fully-functioning human being on my own. These things I already know are (partially irrational) fears of mine, so it would fit with my disproportionate fear of something happening to her.

And the odd thing is that she has talked to me about her possible futures (death, power of attorney if she 'goes gaga'), and I have found it hard to deal with, although she is very practical and seemingly unemotional about it.

Thanks - as I said - very thought-provoking.

Min.
    Last edited by Marginalia; 19-05-10 at 17:59.

Your summation is indeed accurate and very well stated. The passage you cite as misunderstood is one that I always take care in pointing out. To clarify, in some instances, the perceived relationship by the child toward the parent can be one of resentment or even hatred, yet also provoke compelling and unavoidable love or compassion. My point was that the ego-dystonic formulations of resentment and/or hatred are most often internalized. The individual in these instances may not actually recognize the reasons that they harbor such volatile emotions, when in fact it is often the projection of fault for one's own weakness or shortcomings onto the parental figure. They feel helpless and dependent, in a sense blaming the parent for their inability to move beyond a stage of arrested development, so to speak, yet they remain incapable of creating the appropriate independence as though it is an intentional ploy by the parental figure to maintain what would constitute an inappropriate bond in such instances since it produces emotional trauma or disturbance. So dependence in these instances is compelling, yet unwanted.

This is why I take care in discussing this variant, because while those who might recognize it from personal relevance and not wish to make comment, those alternatively who have a more healthy dependency could take offense that it is being construed as abnormal or pathological, which is certainly not the case.

Lastly, finding it hard to deal with your mother's discussion of her ultimate consequences is again, a very normal response. It simply implies the need to examine why you feel troubled. In other words, part or even all of the difficulty might be explained by the very normal repulsion to loss of a loved one and what they represent in your contemporary life. It may also, however, possibly bring forth revelations about aspects more commonly suppressed in some instances. Only you can tell what those aspects may be, but the important factor is to simply try to draw balance to the circumstances in cases where the fear of loss may be overwhelming or producing apprehension that is predominant.

It may or may not surprise you to know that most all persons who reach a certain point in the aging process come more accepting of the end of life. It is recognition in most cases that their life is one well-lived and fulfilled, with little or no regret. At 87 years of age, I myself experienced the rather surprising transformation from a sense of endless longevity to one of comfortable resignation. It does not produce sadness or remorse, but merely satisfaction of a live well-lived and acceptance of things to come. In the case of your mother, she too appears to portray contentment and this is the focal point that I suggested become open discussion for those who overtly fear loss for a variety of reasons.

No one wishes to experience loss, but if misconceptions either of one's own interpretaions or that of the parent are in any way responsible for an inappropriate fear or apprehension, then working to dispell them will certainly help to reduce tension and subsequent predominance. It's one of those conversations that exists as a one-time all out in the open sort of talk that brings perspective to the matter without dwelling upon it afterwards. It helps in turning the corner so to speak for those expressing difficulty with the issue.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

My best friend lives in Australia. We met online through a shared interest and she's come to stay twice now for a number of weeks. I have an extremely strong bond, and she's one of the best friends I've ever had. Yet I have a crippling fear of losing her. In a car accident, anything, I see the worst happening. I keep thinking that she's amazing, and I haven't had any real losses and am terrified I'll lose her. She feels the same about me. We text each other periodically to check up, if one of us goes out or something, we text the other to let the other know when we got home or when we were leaving, etc. Last night she went to something for school. She was with her mom and friend, and we'd been having issues with her phone, I was receiving her texts but she wasn't receiving mine. She texted me when she was leaving and after that I didn't hear from her. My parents don't understand this, I've been diagnosed with OCD, and them saying "You should be more concerned about us and what you're doing to us." has caused tears and more panic on my part. I'm so scared something happened to her. I won't hear anything until later on today during the time change. I don't know what I would ever do if if I lost her.

That is so sweet how you met your best friend online and how much you worry about each other - although is it awful the pain it is putting you through.

I too suffer SEVERE and I mean SEVERE obsessive fear of losing loved ones. I have been like this my entire life and it is getting worse and worse! I do have OCD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I do not know if this particular obsession is OCD or just human nature

It is absolutely disabling and it impairs my functioning because I CHRONICALLY obsess something bad is going to happen to a dear loved one. I think it has to do with control issues too and since something will happen eventually to our loved ones it makes it very hard to accept.

I too have a wonderful friend overseas and we have become so close although we have never met in person. I worry obsessively about them too! It makes it really hard in this situation because they are overseas and not as easy to get in contact with.

This has been a nightmare for me and basically is the #1 thing on my mind My husband gets annoyed by it as well. Then I take offense to it, that he doesn't care as much about me although I know I am completely wrong. I feel for you and I cannot comment if this specific obsession is OCD or not. I think too that we care for things so much that we never want to lose them or have something bad happen to them. I have this with physical objects too.

Congrats on the nice relationship you two have developed! I hope one day I meet my friend in real life as well and that we get on just as nice as we do online. I wish you the best

ive suffered with ocd for as long as i can remember and separation anxiety hated being away from mum i developed ocd thinking i could keep mum and dad safe so it was a devistating shock when we lost dad at 54 from lung cancer i was 23 at the time and still lived at home with my 2 yr old daughter .we tried to help mum with her grief while handling our own which was verry hard we never left mums side when i moved out i moved next door and my sister lived with mum with her family so mum wouldnt be on her own i used to lay in bed at night crying at the thought of losing my precious mum the thought of anything happening to her and having to live without her filled me with panic mum had always helped me with my depression and anxiety i could never live without her so when she was diagnosed with secondary cancer in aug 2008 our world litterally fell apart they couldnt find the primary cancer so she was offered radiotherapy to shrink the rapidly growing lump above her collar bone which seemed to be working but then mum started to get weak the cancer had spread i have never felt physical pain in my heart like it it was breaking we were told she was terminal on oct 1st mum was in hospital at the time we didnt want her to no she was going to die because we no how frightened she would be so we had to face mum and try and be normal it was devistating looking in to her face knowing what we new i thought i would die from the grief i felt and felt we were betraying her trust not telling her but we knew we were making the right decision she started to beg us to take her home so we fought with the hospital to get oxygen at home but we managed and she came home in a wheel chair my once strong beatiful mummy reduced to skin and bone my heart was breaking we got her comfortable but by the next morning it was clear mum was getting weaker i remember knelt in front of her crying she opened her eyes and said to me what you crying for and i said i dont like it when your poorly and and she said im only having half an hour and that was the last thing mum said to me she passed away a few hours later with her 4 daughters and 1 son clinging desperatly to her not wanting her to leave us but we new she was tired and dad was waiting for her she was just 68 yrs oldthe desperation and pain i felt no one can explain i am sobbing as i type this so i now how you all feel but please dont waste precious time worrying about your parents dieing you cant change anything just enjoy them and show them how much you love them i use to randomly hug and kiss my mum for no reason because i didnt want to waste an opportunity of feeling mums soft skin and the love we shared while i could and im glad i never missed an opportunity to show her she was precious and still is its some thing you never get over but you learn to adjust it hasnt been easy but time makes things less raw my advice to you all is never say or do anything you will look back on and regret and never be embarrased to show your parents affection and tell them you love them every day because when they have gone its too late my heart goes out to you all i too felt like you all do xx
    Last edited by bronte; 29-06-10 at 14:24.

Hi everyone,

Im 17 years old and started having a fear of my family members getting hurt or dying about 2 years ago but it was occasionally & not that serious but it recently has gotten way WORSE! Now i cant even sleep , and my biggest fear is of my mom or brother dying , everytime i hear ambulance or anything related to dying i get freaked out . Some days i try to keep all those bad toughts away but then other days everything is bad i try to not talk to my mom about it because i feel that by telling her that i fear shes gonna die then that just might happen, and i get scared when she doesnt get home on time , & now everything seems to be about death & i start getting panic attacks when i hear on the news that someone got shot or killed, I also had a couple of my friends died in car accidents so i feel like my mom or brother might die soon and having to think about that just kills me ,sometimes i think about me dying instead of having to deal with the lost of one of them , I live in constant fear of losin them and i dont know how much more i cant take because this is affecting me so much , I usually now go to bed around 4 or 5 am and wake up at 8 so i feel tired , stressed, depressed and scared and everytime i go to bed i cry and pray to God that he keeps my mom and brother safe and that nothing bad happens to them :( but finding all you people that are in some way kind of going through the same thing as me , i dont feel so alone. AND i would appreciate anyone that wants to comment or send a message , thanks

Wee Mee i understand what you are going though please dont cry big hugs

Quote Originally Posted by stefany View Post
    Hi everyone,

Im 17 years old and started having a fear of my family members getting hurt or dying about 2 years ago but it was occasionally & not that serious but it recently has gotten way WORSE! Now i cant even sleep , and my biggest fear is of my mom or brother dying , everytime i hear ambulance or anything related to dying i get freaked out . Some days i try to keep all those bad toughts away but then other days everything is bad i try to not talk to my mom about it because i feel that by telling her that i fear shes gonna die then that just might happen, and i get scared when she doesnt get home on time , & now everything seems to be about death & i start getting panic attacks when i hear on the news that someone got shot or killed, I also had a couple of my friends died in car accidents so i feel like my mom or brother might die soon and having to think about that just kills me ,sometimes i think about me dying instead of having to deal with the lost of one of them , I live in constant fear of losin them and i dont know how much more i cant take because this is affecting me so much , I usually now go to bed around 4 or 5 am and wake up at 8 so i feel tired , stressed, depressed and scared and everytime i go to bed i cry and pray to God that he keeps my mom and brother safe and that nothing bad happens to them :( but finding all you people that are in some way kind of going through the same thing as me , i dont feel so alone. AND i would appreciate anyone that wants to comment or send a message , thanks

I know how you feel... I think everyone of us have fears of losing someone we love... the only difference is that not all people think it as negative as the others.
    Death is inevitable. The more you worry about it, the more it will haunt you.
    No matter how much we worry about it, if it will happen... it will. We cant stop it. We cant buy extension for life. But we can do something to make things worthy while we are with our loved ones.

So chill... you are young.

Enjoy life!

Make the most out of your time with your family...

Make them proud... instead of worrying... love them.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information