Quote Originally Posted by Brainwash View Post
Thank you for this thread.

I been recently having these thoughts again. it usually happens when my parents head overseas. 103 weeks ago, they went for a cruise and that week has been terrifying. Always have been having this fear and it has gotten worst throughout the years. I would literally, check on them at night to see if they are breathing. When i hug my mum, i would commit it to memory cause i am afraid there won't be a next time.

Have anyone experience any methods on reducing this fear? or at least controlling and stabalising it. I want to overcome this fear. It's taking away previous moments in my life.. please reply..
This is quote a long and aged thread so it may be worthwhile to create one of your own so more people are likely to respond.

It sounds like you have trouble accepting & trusting, which I think is vey common in OCD, I feel like this myself. You could use Thought Records to write your thought down and then the sections next to it ask you to rationalise it.

I do feel a bit this way myself but not to the extent of you or others in this type of thread. I do have Magical Thinking OCD that is connected to these thoughts about my parents and it has caused me to use visual images whilst conducting rituals that could be comparable to what you discribe with the hugging.

So, perhaps start a new thread and some of us can discuss how to work on breaking these types of thoughts. I think you will get some good advice on ways to tackle this such as Mindfulness which will encourage you be accept & trust that you cannot impact or influence the physical world though your thoughts. Do you find that you do things to enable your parents to be safe e.g. touching or imagining something in order to prevent something bad happening to them? If so, this is Magical Thinking OCD.