Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic on a Train

Panic on a Train

Hi all

Today I suffered a full blown panic attack, my first in a few weeks. I was on my way home from work at the time and had just gor on the train. The train was very stuffy, busy and I had to stand due to it being overcrowded. I suddenly felt like my chest was going to explode and I kep thinking what I have fall down or faint or something. I was scared because this isnt my normal train that I get and I realised that I didnt know anyone on this train. I felt scared that if something were to happen to me on this train there would be no friendly face close by to help me.

However, during the attack all I kept trying to make myself think about was what would the guys on the nomorepanic website do, what advice would they give me. I kept thinking, well this has happened many times before and Im still here so I can get through this again and lots of people suffer the same symptoms. Its just too much adrenaline because I had to rush for the train, thats all. It took a while to die down to be honest because I found it difficult to control my breathing on the train. I felt people would be looking at me strangely. Eventually I met my husband once I got off the train and he managed to reassure me that everything was ok.

I am disappointed in myself for not being able to control it better from the start..but better luck next time!!

Has anyone else experienced panic attacks on trains or very public places? How do you manage to cope?

sadie

Hi Sadie

Sorry to hear that but you did well - you survived so well done!!

I was driving home last night and heard that the A1 roundabout I needed to get off at was closed. I drove up the A1 and thought "ok, i can get off soon and avoid it!". The panic was terrible, I managed to turn off just b4 it got to the solid traffic jam and I was so scared!

I tried to remember all the posts on here - and all the advice but at the time it all went out the window so I know how you feel.

Please feel good that you survived it and did well to cope.

Nicola

Hiya Sadie,

Don`t beat yourself up, you did well. YOU SURVIVED!!!! that`s what`s important. Now you know next time you survived today, you`ll survive the next. Keep ya chin up!! Keep the positive thoughts going. This to shall pass.

Take care,

Diana xxx

sadie,

ime soo proud of you...you did soo well!

this happened to emily,and she used a technique,that she had read..she did an a-z of animals,for instance,a = albatros,ok i know thats a bird,but ime a cheat..she got up to n,and couldnt think of one,so she then said..nice cat,nice dog,nice pig etc,it was her way of lowering the panic,and this was on london underground,and no one likes using that.

i think you did brill...ps,i think your husbands a great guy too....best wishes..bryan.

Thanks guys

You dont know just how much all your help, support and kind words mean to me.. especially times like today!!I am so grateful.

sadie

Sadie,

I've had panic attacks on trains and tubes too. But please don't do what I have done and avoid trains altogether. I haven't been on a train for four years and will insist upon getting the bus or taxi even if it's more expensive or a longer journey.

So please, Sadie, get back on a train soon even for just one or two stops just to prove to yourself that you can do it - because you can! I wish that's what I had done so that it didn't seem like such a mountain to climb now.

Best wishes,

Sara x

Hi Sadie

Sorry to hear you had another attack - they always seem worse when you have been doing so well, and are free of them for a while!

But think positive - you made the journey, you were ok afterwards, and at least you didn't get that bad that you had to pull the emergency cord and run off screaming down a siding!

I hate the crowds when I go shopping, and always do my Xmas shopping at the beginning of November, cos I can't cope with cities nearer the time. I had to go to me nearest city last Saturday and didn't go till 4. It was great as the shops were emptying, and most were open till 6!.

Do you have to take that train? Is there a quieter, less stuffy one slightly later? Can you text somebody whilst an attack is happening to share it with them? Problem shared is a problem halved and all that!Also remember, that most of the time when you are having an attack, nobody else can tell!!!

Try not to be too down on yourself - you came back out the other side, and sometimes thats all you can do. I know that there have been lots of posts where people "forget" how to breathe during attacks, even though they have been practicing and practicing for ages. It's a vicious circle - practice makes panic breathing easier to control, but we are striving daily not to have the attack, so therefore don't get the panic to practice with!!!

Stay positive - you did it and coped!

Charlie

Hi Sadie,
    I know too how you felt.
    Had panic attacks in trains, buses, cars.....all transports don't seem to agree with me! The only transport where I did not have a single panic attack is the ferry. Strange, huh? I cannot explain it.
    Maybe its claustrophobia, maybe its the motion or maybe its fear of an accident, I am not sure.
    Oh well maybe one day I will find the reason of all my fears.
    Take care.
    Florence.

I have to take a 5 hour ferry journey in 5 weeks!

Weird thing about my distraction technique is the psychiatrist told me it is one of my crutches and I'll need to learn to stop it. But then the book he sold me recommended it again! I will ask my CBT therapist.

Emily

Twister,

my CBT therapist told me distraction techniques are fine if it helps take my mind off things! (ie if i eat something I am scared off and then keep busy!!)

Must admit distraction is the best 'crutch' I have found so far

love
    Lucky

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information