Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Panic on a Train

Hiya Em,

Wierd the psychiatrist tellling you that. I would think whatever gets you through the day without harming yourself with things like alcohol etc, etc, etc would be just fine. Like you say it is a "TECHNIQUE", something you know that works for you, a survival technique if you will. What is wrong with that????? I think a technique that works for you is a survival mechanism not a crutch!!! because you are dealing with the issue at hand. However taking a pint or so to ease the issues would be considered a crutch to me, but that is just my opinion. I`m not a psychiatrist, actually some would say I should take stock in one LOL........., but that just does`nt make any sense to me????? Hopefully your CBT will set you straight on rather to continue on with your "TECHNIQUE" or not. What a terrible thing to tell you whilst you are seeking help, when you know that atleast you have your "TECHNIQUE" until you know of something better to do to get you through a bad day. I hope all works out for you, stay positive though.

Take care,

Diana xxx

I can't really say that I've ever even had the chance to do public transportation. I live in the states in a suburb of Chicago, so I usually do all the driving myself. However, I've been terrified to do that sometimes. My mom, having gone thru horrible PAs in her life and getting over them, has always told me to do exactly what I am scared of. Otherwise this panic will consume me far too much. Life cannot be lived like this. We must push ourselves farther past this everytime. And everytime we do, we will be closer to freedom that we haven't felt in a long time. Good Luck Everyone !!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by florence

Had panic attacks in trains, buses, cars.....all transports don't seem to agree with me! The only transport where I did not have a single panic attack is the ferry. Strange, huh? I cannot explain it.
    Maybe its claustrophobia, maybe its the motion or maybe its fear of an accident, I am not sure.
    I don't do any public transport atall and I have to drive myself. The only person I let drive me is Alex (my partner). Not sure about boats - not been on one for over 10 years!!

Nicola

Planes sometimes get me. Espescially on Ryanair and Easyjet when I try to be smart and grab the extra legroom seats next to the door. At thirty thousand feet, I usually start to ponder what would happen if I went for the door? What if I tried to wrestle it open, screaming, frothing at the mouth as the plane goes into an emergency dive and passengers weep in their seats.
    Oh yes, I can chuckle at this now sitting comfortably two feet off the ground, but I have endured this mental battle, pulling my seat belt tighter around me to prevent me bolting from the chair. As usual, on one level I "know" it's not going to happen, and on the other I'm severely worried it might! Doing a crossword can help take my mind off it.
    On British Airways early evening flights, you get a hot scone with cream and jam. I used to find this relaxing until I started wondering what would happen if I choked at thirty thousand feet? Cue constricting throat, rapidly drying mouth, inability to swallow, panic rising. Really, you have to laugh....but it's normally when I'm back on solid ground.

Jim

you can't open the doors on a plane whilst they are flying the air pressure would be too great and they are such a struggle to get off anyway (saw it on a tv programme)you'd be wrestled to the ground before too long if you even tried!

Emily

Hiya Jim,

You are hilarious!!! LOL......... Your post had me laughing out loud in front of my computer, with everyone watching me (like I am crazy). I know you can laugh now, but I also know at the moment it is happening it is "NO" laughing matter. It made me reflect back to some pretty "NOW" hilarious things I`ve thought and done whilst going into full panic. I know how you feel, but is`nt it funny now? Keep posting, I love your unique way of bringing your experiences to life.

Take care,

Diana xxx

Twister
    You can't open doors on a plane while it's flying?
    That's what they WANT you to think.

Jim

LOL...... That`s probably true Jim. They are probably just waiting for someone like us to get on there and have to wrestle ourselves to the ground to stay away from that damn door!!!! LOL......... Now everytime, which is`nt so often I take a plane I`ll be thinking about that, and watch who ever is sitting by the door!!!! LOL....

Diana xxx

I did air ambulance work for years - bringing people home on lear jets as well as normal carriers and people did go for the doors - mainly kids being inquisitive.

Didn't see any frothing people, although when I went to the USA during my anxiety period,I did think it could be me and also tightened my belt to respiratory restrictive lengths.

I nearly warned the cabin crew that I might be a danger but the many thoughts of the implications of that was enough of a humourous distraction to get me over it.

Also I had to help my seat neighbour through a bout of chest pain.

There is nothing like helping someone else through some incident to forget your own woes.

I do like setting off those shutes though, we had to do it several times during air ambulance training and slide down ...

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Sadie,

You did fine.. well done for controlling the panic.

Now you do need to do it again so you're not left with the bad memories foremost in your mind should oyu end up theer by mistake again.

The heat and stuffiness on the trains really doesn't help either - blame that partially.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information