Thread: citalopram

citalopram

I took 10mg citalopram for 2 weeks and 20mg for10days but want to stop as i cant sleep(3 hrs a night then wide awake, IS this the tablets- also cold, nervous rushes through my body) tried 10mg temazepan at 4am but no effect.
    Anyway, can i just stop taking the citalopram or should i reduce the amount slowly. Fed up of going to doctors so please dont suggest that. what side affects will i get if i suddenly stop? thanks

Re: citalopram

Sleeping is a problem on these tablets and I know what you mean with the cold rushes through the body. I have also had increased anxiety and OCD and have found them very hard to stay on. I am on five and a half weeks and hoping they will make me feel better soon as otherwise i will have put up with all this for nothing! Apart from that how do you feel? because if you stop them when you presumabley needed them what will you do. I am on 40mg now for 2 days. Good luck X

Hi Steam, sorry you are having such a rough time, I am only sleeping a few hours each night and waking about 4am and just can't get back to sleep, no matter what. As for the cold nervous rushes, please go on to the Health Anxiety site and look for the post I did yesterday on exactly the same thing and if you scroll down I written about what I found on nmp and I do hope you will find it useful.
    I doubt whether it is the tablets that are keeping you awake, but just the fact that you are stressed/anxious. I would stay on the tablets but if you do come off them, just take one tablet less a week .
    If you go cold turkey they sometimes make you feel worse, ie shaking, bad anxiety, maybe headaches - it varies from person to person. Keep us posted.

Hi Steam, I have been on Citalopram for 8 months and it has never stopped me sleeping. My anxiety disorder has always caused me problems sleeping when it flares up though. It might be worth trying some relaxation techniques before you go to sleep, avoiding caffine, avoiding TV or computer an hour before bed etc. If you get enough sleep you will probably find your anxiety is alot more easy to control.
    It is not advised to come off Citalopram suddenly, as you will see if you study the instructions carefully. Try reducing your intake slowly over a week or so, but only with your doctors permission.
    Good luck xx

Hi Steam, I too had the exact same problem as you on citalopram with the sleep loss but I can assure you that your sleep pattern will improve greatly once your body gets used to the citalopram. Try not to worry too much about this, I know how important sleep is to us but I promise it will improve in the next few weeks.

I meant to say also that you are only on this drug for the last 2 3 and a half weeks, within 6 weeks your sleep pattern should be much improved.

By the way I noticed there is a separate section of the forum for this drug. I am also on it.

Thread Information