Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: citalopram to mirtazapine

Re: citalopram to mirtazapine

i have just recentley switched from 40mg citolapram to 15mg of mirtazapine, i had 3 days without any meds and then started the mirtazapine and felt so bad dizzy, sick and like i was really drunk is the best way i can discribe it! this lasted for about 2 weeks and now the only side affect is been so sleepy i cant wake up until around 2pm most days. I discussed this with my doctor and she advised that at a lower dose mirtazapine can make u feel sadated but this isnt the case with a higher dose. I start a higher dose of 30mg 2nite after 4/5 weeks at 15mg.
    i hope this helps and will let u know how i get on!

Hi everyone

I've been on Cipramil for 5years or so, and have agreed with my Dr to change to mirtazapine. Pleasemay I ask if it is safe to change immediately from one to the other? (E.g. last dose of cipramil on Friday morning and start the mirtazapine Saturday evening)? Also, does mirtazapine clash with diazepam, as although I don't take diaxepam reguarly (only in emergencies when things get really bad), I had to take one last night (Friday night).

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by clairescavys View Post
    Hi everyone

I've been on Cipramil for 5years or so, and have agreed with my Dr to change to mirtazapine. Pleasemay I ask if it is safe to change immediately from one to the other? (E.g. last dose of cipramil on Friday morning and start the mirtazapine Saturday evening)? Also, does mirtazapine clash with diazepam, as although I don't take diaxepam reguarly (only in emergencies when things get really bad), I had to take one last night (Friday night).

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
    I think it's a good idea to taper the citalopram if you've been on it so long over a week or so before you start the mirtazapine. Diazepam with mirtazapine can cause a lot of tiredness/sedation so bare that in mind. Hope you do well.

Hi, i also switched to mirtazapine 35mg on thursday last week i slept like a log but woke late feeling dizzy and zombi like all day cant stop eating now each day is the same feel drunk and cant focus. i went for a walk and had a very bad panic attack so now iam very uneasy about going out alone. I also feel uneasy and tearfull most of the day. although iam sleeping better i dont feel like ive slept. I start to feel like i could sleep and when i close my eyes i get a sort of light show i dont know if anyone else has this. I beleave when taking this it would be better if your not alone. I dont feel safe now even cooking and making hot drinks makes me uneasy ive never felt like this before. I dont know what to do,do i keep taking them or stop and see the doctor when i feel i can go out.
    Last edited by jpm; 16-11-09 at 19:03.

hi i was on mirtazpine for 2 yrs and they were good at making me sleep but they didnt cope the panic attacks at all.theyt made me put on so much weight so i went back to my gp and am now on citalopram. the side affects are crazy :-(. dont like them at all.its like i cant sleep eat drink or do anything.its not be being lazy i just cant be borthed to do anything.all i do is sleep during the day and am up all night.i get that sleepy i just wanna cry.
    i just feel like am out of it. like if someone says something to me i dont listen and i just sit there.bet they think am just being rude am not its cause of the pills.how long does the side affacts stay for? ive been on citalopram for 4 weeks now 20mg and i just wanna get back to my old self.

Is any one using citalopram and mirtazapine together? As I am

hi there im a 40 yr old mental health nurse and have experienced depression on-off for 25yrs. my last change to my medication was from 60mg citalopam to mitazapine 15mg initially. i was experiencing difficulty sleeping often awake all night which was ok when i worked nights but when required to work days took its tole, my appitite was none existent and slowley my mood was getting worse and feelings of upset and outbursts of crying more frequent, so i visited the doctor and he suggested mitazapine, i was to tailer down to 20mg over a period of 4 weeks, then i started 15mg of mitazapine within 2 days i felt so unwell drowsy, pins needles, not be bothered to do anything and spent two full days in bed, then after that things seemed to get better. i began waking early in the morning, less feeling like a zombie and pinns/needles not every day. returned to doctors due to experiencing some problems with sleeping on some nights my medication was increased to 30mg on a night. staight away i felt the sedative effect and over the next two weeks my emotions were high then low and began to feel angry that i had become ill. By the 3rd week my mood lifted so much and i could think positive again and make plans to return to work, i still experience pinns and needles on occasions but have been assured they will subside in time. Mitazapine has been so effect to me its enabled me to think again and if you are experiencing any of these symptoms stick with it because the side effects do subside and if they dont tell your doctor as my doctor was so supportive and helped me in every way he could. Now im just waiting to go back to work, maybe working nights is off the agenda but im sure days will be enough.

regards
    connelly

The week before xmas the doc switched me without weaning from 40mg citalopram to 15mg mirtazapine. Ive had the worse xmas EVER! At last, this week I think Im turning a corner and I thought I never would! The side effects are lessening (drowsiness, anger,food cravings,paranoia etc etc) and I'm eating healthy again and exercising. Hope it lasts but Im realistic to know not every day will be the same. I think once I get my temper/anger (medication causes this) sorted I will be satisfied with the status quo! Hope you are encouraged by this my friend.

the first tablet i took of mirt i felt the difference, maybe my anxiety messing with me again that made me think they worked. after a few weeks i was still anxious. it just stopped the panic attacks.

Hi Smudger, just read the post above, I know I have posted to you on different threads but hadn't realised you had gone from 40mg citalopram to 15mg mirtazipine without any weaning. I was weaned in a week. Now this coming Friday I will of been taking the mirtazipine for 2 weeks ( I see the GP Friday). I am thinking of asking to come off the meds. I have lost the depression/anxiety but am really struggling with both withdrawal from cit (poxy zaps continuous throughout my body all day every day) and the mirt has made me more hungry but mostly late afternoon and eves, but I feel clumsy and bloated. My hands are swollen a little too. I have checked my BP and that is ok. Perhaps the Gp will give me something for the odema when I go??? Any advise you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks. Jo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information