Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: citalopram to mirtazapine

Re: citalopram to mirtazapine

Hi JT69. All I can say I am afraid is that it wasn't til day 46 until the effects wore off for me and Im not sure if they were withdrawal from the citalopram or side effects of the mirtazapine. Looking back I don't know how I coped for so long but I did. Where I am now is I have good days and bad. If I eat healthy and exercise combined with the mirt its more good days. I am not sure long term if I can stay on it though as I believe my problems need to be tackled via diet (i am having a blood test tomorrow for various things). At the moment though, to get me through my holiday I will stay with the mirt. I have put on 10 pounds in weight since I started the mirt despite exercising and eating better (at the start I did eat naughty things I have to admit) That really bothers me. I do not crave sweet things as much now though, thats wearing off if thats any comfort. I don't know anything about odema. You definately need to consult doc bout that. I still find I have bouts of anger with this drug too and it is like a sleeping tablet when I go to bed even after this length of time taking it! Don't know how I am going to deal with this on holiday?I still feel its early days for you to expect effects to be completely gone but if you do find it unbearable then its up to you whether you continue or not. Only you can decide. If you take something esle you may have to start all over again with the side effects. Have you thought about that? Don't let the doc push you into anything you don't want to do though. Its your body! Good luck.

Hi Smuder, thanks for that. I just had 2 really bad days and have been in tears alot with the sheer frustration. I just kept thinking I will never feel normal again whatever normal feels like. You are right if I do change yes will have to start all over again etc and what choice is there for me?? The citalopram stopped working and having tried other types of meds before unsucessfully has made my mind up to stick with it. I am being naughty with food in the eves especially but I just need that comfort at the moment, I will just have to worry about that later on, so hard too when I'm unable to leave the house at the moment. You say effects wore off on day 46 !!! Is that when you felt totally normal again?? Did effects gradually wear off before that??? I know what you mean when you say you dont know if its the withdrawal or the side effects of the new!!! Total pain up the bum not knowing. My problem is I am such an active person (find it really hard to sit down and relax I am always on the go) and feeling like this I just cannot do as much as I want to, I am just going to have to try. I have 2 weeks left after this week and I am suposed to be returning to work (even though not full time at first) and I know if these effects have not worn off a bit I just wont be able to do it. Having being off since mid October I really want to get back to work and am feeling increasingly anxious about this. Sorry i have just gone on and on to you (all my thoughts coming tumbling out). Didnt mean to rant for so long. Thanks for your advice its invaluable to me at the moment. JO.

Hi, Day 18 today of my change from citalopram to mirtazipine and at last am starting to feel the benefit. The "zaps" have almost gone (horray!!!) never thought they would. I still feel very dozy when I first wake up in the mornings, but by mid morning feel awake. Hope this continues and will keep posting how I feel and how it is going. Jo.

I've changed from 60mg of citalopram to mirtazapine. Started on 15mg, then 30mg and now I'm on 45mg. I feel like a zombie all day and I'm getting the zaps that people are mentioning. I'm a teacher in a school for kids with behavioural problems and I'm finding this transition VERY difficult, especially having school management that doesn't understand or help.

Bloomin eck Darren, can't u have a bit off time off sick to get through the transition? Its not an easy med. If only people realised!

My God Darren, how are you coping??? How quickly have you upped your dosage?? I went from 40mg cit to nothing in a week then started on 15mg mirtazipine. Day 20 today and the zaps have almost gone (just the odd one now and then) I was having them all day every day, I feel a little sleepy when I wake but it soon wears off now. I could not cope with work at the moment though. I am only just starting to turn the corner. I had a probably 2 and half weeks of feeling not myself and having both withdrawal and side effects at the same time. I think you need a bit of time off to get used to the meds. Let us know how you get on. Jo.

Question Re: citalopram to mirtazapine

I've been on mirtazipine for over 3rys now and the only benefit is that my sleep is ok but apart from that I still feel depressed,crying and very low mood so now im going to take citalapram

Pinkylee38, get back to your GP sharpish and have your meds re-evaluated. Are you have psychotherapy/therapy too as medication alone won't shift it. Good luck

First off I'm new here and want to say hello to you all! I'm in opposite boat than all of you are and would appreciate any input you may have. My doctor is switching me from Remeron (mirtazapine) to Celexa (citalopram) for anxiety, severe panic attacks and depression. My question is how did the citalopram work for extreme anxiety, agoraphobia and panic attacks? My mirtazapine helped for the first few months on it then one day out of the blue it just stopped working for my anxiety and panic attacks. As for my depression mirtazapine worked wonders and worked quickly if this helps any of you! Thanks for help in advance!!!

Hi Chuck,

Sorry to hear the mirtazapine stopped working, and hope citalopram can work for you. To get more responses, you might want to re-post on the citalopram thread. That way, you can get responses from people who have switched from a number of medications to citalopram, as well as those who've taken it all along.

Good luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information