Thread: Holiday panic!

Holiday panic!

Hi,

Was diagnosed with anxiety in Sept and my main symptoms were severe nausea, feeling restless and jumpy, electricity feeling in my arms, no ability to concentrate, mild agoraphobia. About 3 weeks ago I decided to come off meds as they made me worse and I woke up about 3 days later and felt fine, no symptoms, nothing (apart from my IBS lol).

Tomorrow I am flying out to Florida with my daughter, my parents, my sister and her husband. I have been looking forward to it and to be honest, I have hardly been worrying. However, today I woke up with the horrible jittery feeling and the nausea is back, I am trying to calm myself down, but the adrenaline has really hit. I know I have beaten before, but at the moment I am really struggling, I am having the what if thoughts, especially "what if I go back to the way I was before".

Help, what can I do? I am leaving for a hotel at Gatwick in just over an hour!!!

Re: Holiday panic!

Hi

If you have beaten it before then you know you can beat it this time. It's normal to be anxious before going away as it is such a hectic time. Once you get there you will relax and start enjoying yourself I am sure.

Remember to try to slow your breathing down and try to distract yourself from your negative thougts.

Thanks Andrea, We are off in about 10 mins. I am trying to remain as calm as possible and to just concentrate on doing what needs to be done before we leave.

I feel a bit better at the moment, the anxiety seems to be going up and down. We are staying in 2 villas, so it should be alot less stressful than staying in a hotel, as we get to do our own thing so to speak.

I will let you know how I do when I get back!

I know exactly how you feel. I look forward to every holiday but about a week before i go away anywhere i start to get the anxiety symptoms. They build up and up and up until by the time i go away i feel awful. I think the main reason they begin is because i think to myself 'what if i panic on holiday and no one is there to help me'. Yet by panicking i'm doing exactly what i'm afraid of. I have just been away for the weekend but was feeling anxious the whole time. However i managed to get on a plane to go travelling for 9 months no problems so it CAN be beaten!!

I too suffer terribly being away from home. The anxiety is so overwhleming that it just ruins the break / holiday / meeting with friends or even a meal with family!

I really dont know why it happens but I am too in a tizz as I am flying to Australia on Xmas Day and there is no way I can just turn the plane around and come home!!!

Thread Information